SPORTS BRIEFS

Soccer
Hurricanes to face Gators

When the NCAA announced its 2007 tournament bracket, the University of Miami (9-6-5) women’s soccer team found themselves facing third-seeded University of Florida (16-4-2).
The Canes were one of eight Atlantic Coast Conference teams to make the tournament. Out of the field of 64 teams, Miami has played 11 of them during the regular season.
The Hurricanes will face off against the Gators on Friday in Gainesville, Fla.

Hall of Fame
Eight new members to be inducted next year

On Wednesday, Feb. 13, 2008, the University of Miami will induct eight new members into its Sports Hall of Fame.
The members include two-time Honorable All-American golfer Woody Austin; Octavia Blue, a two-time All-Big East Third Team member in women’s basketball; Golden Spikes winner and baseball star Pat Burrell; Jeff Feagles, a member of the 1987 football National Championship; Randal Hill, a two-time football National Championship winner; K.C. Jones, a 1996 first team All-American and three-time All-Big East football star; three-time women’s diving All-American Wendy Williams; and Hurricane basketball star Mike Wittman.

Major League Baseball
Braun named National League Rookie of the Year

Third baseman Ryan Braun was named Major League Baseball’s National League Rookie of the Year for the 2007 season. Braun currently plays for the Milwaukee Brewers and is a former UM player.
Braun is the only Hurricane to ever win any of the MLB’s top awards.
“We’re very proud of Ryan,” Coach Jim Morris said. “He’s had a phenomenal rookie season. He was a great player for us at Miami, and we’re glad to see him excelling at the next level.”

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...