SPORTS BRIEFS

Soccer
Hurricanes to face Gators

When the NCAA announced its 2007 tournament bracket, the University of Miami (9-6-5) women’s soccer team found themselves facing third-seeded University of Florida (16-4-2).
The Canes were one of eight Atlantic Coast Conference teams to make the tournament. Out of the field of 64 teams, Miami has played 11 of them during the regular season.
The Hurricanes will face off against the Gators on Friday in Gainesville, Fla.

Hall of Fame
Eight new members to be inducted next year

On Wednesday, Feb. 13, 2008, the University of Miami will induct eight new members into its Sports Hall of Fame.
The members include two-time Honorable All-American golfer Woody Austin; Octavia Blue, a two-time All-Big East Third Team member in women’s basketball; Golden Spikes winner and baseball star Pat Burrell; Jeff Feagles, a member of the 1987 football National Championship; Randal Hill, a two-time football National Championship winner; K.C. Jones, a 1996 first team All-American and three-time All-Big East football star; three-time women’s diving All-American Wendy Williams; and Hurricane basketball star Mike Wittman.

Major League Baseball
Braun named National League Rookie of the Year

Third baseman Ryan Braun was named Major League Baseball’s National League Rookie of the Year for the 2007 season. Braun currently plays for the Milwaukee Brewers and is a former UM player.
Braun is the only Hurricane to ever win any of the MLB’s top awards.
“We’re very proud of Ryan,” Coach Jim Morris said. “He’s had a phenomenal rookie season. He was a great player for us at Miami, and we’re glad to see him excelling at the next level.”

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier is not relinquishing that starting job anytime soon. On ...

The Miami Hurricanes don’t just have a marquee season opener against LSU on their hands on Sept. 2. ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Monday: ▪ Here’s one encouraging development this month: The fre ...

The preseason love continues. The Associated Press unveiled its Top 25 preseason rankings Monday, an ...

The Miami Hurricanes on Monday had their first practice after their second scrimmage Saturday night ...

The University of Miami welcomed more than 2,300 new students to campus as the fall semester got und ...

Intergroup Dialogue, a pilot program that will soon become a UM elective course, promotes honest tal ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami checked in at No. 8 in the preseason Associated Press poll, marking its highest position in th ...

Miami and adidas today revealed their new environmentally-conscious alternate uniforms for the 2018 ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team picked up a victory ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...