MATCHUP: MIAMI v. VIRGINIA TECH

QUARTERBACKS

Kyle Wright’s injury is clearly still affecting his mobility outside the pocket. Wright continues to struggle at leading the passing game. Tyrod Taylor’s mobility and ability to throw on the run should pose problems for the Hurricanes. Sean Glennon also will be in the rotation and has come on strong after a slow start to the season.

Advantage: VA TECH

O-LINE

Miami’s group up front has to play disciplined and limit mistakes. The unit must pick up the blitz and provide time for Wright to throw in the pocket. The Hokies’ glaring weakness has been the O-line, which has surrendered 35 sacks on the year. The unit performed well against Florida State and has improved in the latter part of the season.

Advantage: EVEN

RUNNING BACKS

Miami’s tailbacks must be effective on first and second downs and set up manageable third downs for the offense. Javarris James and Graig Cooper need to combine for more than 100 yards and get in the end zone. Branden Ore had a big performance against the Hurricanes last year, but he is nursing an injury and has only averaged close to 60 yards per game on the season. Kenny Lewis is a change of pace and has hit pay dirt four times.

Advantage: MIAMI

RECEIVERS

The Canes need to find another reliable target to go along with Darnell Jenkins. The unit has not done a good job creating separation and has dropped some catchable passes. The Hokies have received more production at the position. Justin Harper and Josh Morgan have combined for 60 catches and seven touchdowns on the season.

Advantage: VA TECH

D-LINE

Miami has to do a better job on outside containment and help create turnovers to set the tone early. The Hurricanes need to get to the quarterback more often on third downs. The Hokies’ interior linemen do a good job getting to the running back. Defensive end Chris Ellis can wreak havoc and leads the team with 6.5 sacks.

Advantage: VA TECH

LINEBACKERS

Miami’s unit must read the play-action fake and focus on covering opponents in the flat and out of the backfield. The Hokies have a solid unit that has contributed in stopping the running game. Xavier Adibi is one of the top linebackers in the ACC.

Advantage: VA TECH

SECONDARY

Kenny and Randy Phillips have quietly been productive for the unit during the past few games, but the cornerbacks continue to struggle in coverage and tackling. Virginia Tech cornerbacks Victor Harris and Brandon Flowers each have four interceptions on the season and rank among the best in the ACC.

Advantage: VIRGINIA TECH

SPECIAL TEAM

Miami’s kicking game still remains a question heading into Blacksburg. The Hurricanes need more productivity on kickoff and punt returns. Virginia Tech’s Eddie Royal has taken two punts back for scores. Brent Bowden has averaged 42 yards per punt, while Jud Dunlevy is 14-for-17 in field goals.

Advantage: VA TECH

Alex Kushel may be contacted at a.kushel@umiami.edu

Saturday’s game begins at 3:30 p.m. It will be televised nationally on ABC 10 and broadcast on WVUM 90.5.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...