Hurricanes no match for Hokies

MATTHEW BUNCH // Senior Sports Writer

POSTED NOV. 17 AT 7:58 P.M.

BLACKSBURG, Va. – Despite a solid second quarter, the Canes appeared overmatched Saturday as they fell to Virginia Tech, 44-14.

The lowlight was the ground game for the Hurricanes, as they total -2 yards.

Facing a 17-0 deficit near the beginning of the second quarter, Miami struck back with their own 14 on the arms and legs of quarterback Kyle Writer, with one rushing and one passing touchdown.

Despite the pressure, Virginia Tech never folded, outscoring Miami 24-0 after a third quarter interception by defensive back Victor Harris.

The loss is Miami’s third since defeating Florida State, keeping them one win short of bowl eligibility.

“I can’t take losses,” said Miami Head Coach Randy Shannon. “Every time I lose it gets to me. You can’t take anything away from a loss.”

Look for the game report card and analysis in Monday’s issue of The Miami Hurricane.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

By PRAVIN PATEL // Assistant Sports Editor

POSTED NOV. 17 AT 7: 46 P.M.

The University of Miami Hurricanes (5-6, 2-5 ACC) dropped their third consecutive game and second straight to Virginia Tech (9-2, 6-1 ACC), losing 44-14.

After a quick 17-0 start by the Hokies, the Hurricanes showed some life, climbing back into the game behind solid play by quarterback Kyle Wright. After the Hurricanes closed the gap to 20-14, Virginia Tech slammed the door and locked it shut.

Wright had a decent bounce back game, as he threw for 188 yards and one touchdown and ran for another touchdown, but Wright did throw an interception and coughed up two fumbles. On a positive note, Wright did play a tough game, as he was hit time and time again, yet he fought through the hits and the pain, and continued to attempt the Hurricanes scratch back into the game.

Missing running back Graig Cooper proved to be a major deficiency for the Hurricanes, as they somehow managed minus two rushing yards as a team, while Virginia Tech’s Branden Ore ripped off 83 yards and scored two touchdowns by himself.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

Click here to view overall team statistics.

Click here to view the individual player statistics.

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...