Everyday Green Tips

Home/Office

Use: Opt for a reusable rag rather than paper towels. If you use a roll of paper towels per week, you could save more than $100* per year by switching to dishcloths and tea towels. If all The Miami Hurricane readers who use a roll per week switch to rags, in a year they will save the weight of 2,340,000 tea towels in paper.*

Sleep: Give your laptop some down time, change your PC’s energy settings and turn it off at night. It will reduce energy consumption by up to 70 percent and save up to $75 per computer per year.* If all The Miami Hurricane readers switch their settings, in a year we’ll save enough cash to buy about 626 new Macs.*

Show: Send e-cards rather than the traditional snail mail cards; it’s faster and helps the environment.

Light: Switch to compact fluorescent light bulbs to save electricity and money.

Transportation

Purchase: Local produce. It takes most of our food and drink travels between 1,500 and 2,500 miles* before getting to us; that’s a lot of gas.

Share: Carpool to campus. Not only can you save money by splitting the parking decal and gas price, but you’ll also be emitting less carbon dioxide into the air and reducing traffic congestion.

Lifestyle

Wear: Go organic with what you wear. If all The Miami Hurricane readers choose an organic T-shirt instead of a non-organic one, we’ll save the weight of 22 models in pesticides.*

Drink: If you’re over 21, instead of hitting the pub, try some of these organic, eco-friendly sparkling wines and liquor: Prosecco Perlage Riva Moretta, Papagayo Organic Spiced Rum, Juniper Green Gin and Square One Vodka, which is made with 100-percent organic rye.*

*Information and statistics collected from the Idealbite.com daily green tips and are based on a population of 10,000 people.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...