Everyday Green Tips

Home/Office

Use: Opt for a reusable rag rather than paper towels. If you use a roll of paper towels per week, you could save more than $100* per year by switching to dishcloths and tea towels. If all The Miami Hurricane readers who use a roll per week switch to rags, in a year they will save the weight of 2,340,000 tea towels in paper.*

Sleep: Give your laptop some down time, change your PC’s energy settings and turn it off at night. It will reduce energy consumption by up to 70 percent and save up to $75 per computer per year.* If all The Miami Hurricane readers switch their settings, in a year we’ll save enough cash to buy about 626 new Macs.*

Show: Send e-cards rather than the traditional snail mail cards; it’s faster and helps the environment.

Light: Switch to compact fluorescent light bulbs to save electricity and money.

Transportation

Purchase: Local produce. It takes most of our food and drink travels between 1,500 and 2,500 miles* before getting to us; that’s a lot of gas.

Share: Carpool to campus. Not only can you save money by splitting the parking decal and gas price, but you’ll also be emitting less carbon dioxide into the air and reducing traffic congestion.

Lifestyle

Wear: Go organic with what you wear. If all The Miami Hurricane readers choose an organic T-shirt instead of a non-organic one, we’ll save the weight of 22 models in pesticides.*

Drink: If you’re over 21, instead of hitting the pub, try some of these organic, eco-friendly sparkling wines and liquor: Prosecco Perlage Riva Moretta, Papagayo Organic Spiced Rum, Juniper Green Gin and Square One Vodka, which is made with 100-percent organic rye.*

*Information and statistics collected from the Idealbite.com daily green tips and are based on a population of 10,000 people.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

As has been the case all season, the Miami women's tennis team is top-20 in the Oracle/ITA nati ...