Everyday Green Tips

Home/Office

Use: Opt for a reusable rag rather than paper towels. If you use a roll of paper towels per week, you could save more than $100* per year by switching to dishcloths and tea towels. If all The Miami Hurricane readers who use a roll per week switch to rags, in a year they will save the weight of 2,340,000 tea towels in paper.*

Sleep: Give your laptop some down time, change your PC’s energy settings and turn it off at night. It will reduce energy consumption by up to 70 percent and save up to $75 per computer per year.* If all The Miami Hurricane readers switch their settings, in a year we’ll save enough cash to buy about 626 new Macs.*

Show: Send e-cards rather than the traditional snail mail cards; it’s faster and helps the environment.

Light: Switch to compact fluorescent light bulbs to save electricity and money.

Transportation

Purchase: Local produce. It takes most of our food and drink travels between 1,500 and 2,500 miles* before getting to us; that’s a lot of gas.

Share: Carpool to campus. Not only can you save money by splitting the parking decal and gas price, but you’ll also be emitting less carbon dioxide into the air and reducing traffic congestion.

Lifestyle

Wear: Go organic with what you wear. If all The Miami Hurricane readers choose an organic T-shirt instead of a non-organic one, we’ll save the weight of 22 models in pesticides.*

Drink: If you’re over 21, instead of hitting the pub, try some of these organic, eco-friendly sparkling wines and liquor: Prosecco Perlage Riva Moretta, Papagayo Organic Spiced Rum, Juniper Green Gin and Square One Vodka, which is made with 100-percent organic rye.*

*Information and statistics collected from the Idealbite.com daily green tips and are based on a population of 10,000 people.

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is on the verge of losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...