The final game memory moment

The lights at the Orange Bowl, home of the NCAA record 58 straight home wins, went out for the last time after the Hurricanes (5-5, 2-4 ACC) were shut out 48-0 by No. 19 Virginia (9-2, 6-1 ACC).

With all of the emotions swirling about the final game at the Orange Bowl, the festivities were dulled by the sullen atmosphere created by the loss.

The last time the Hurricanes were shut out was Oct. 4, 1997 against Florida State; and the last time the Canes were shut out at home was Oct. 4, 1974. To top things off, this was the worst defeat the Canes have experienced since a 70-14 loss to Texas A&M on Dec. 8, 1944.

“It’s a bitter loss,” Head Coach Randy Shannon said. “A tough one, especially with it being the last one in the Orange Bowl and you lose 48-0. It’s very tough.”

That’s it? The final game. The final memory. The final moment.

On a night that was supposed to be marked by emotions and positive memories, people walked out of the OB early, fiery and hot, wondering how the Miami Hurricanes could be downed in such fashion.

“It was a tough one today…big-time tough loss for us,” Shannon said. “I feel very bad and disappointed for the city of Miami, Dade County and the University of Miami. I was expecting a better turnout from us as a team, and I’m disappointed because it hurts. The fans were out tonight, the atmosphere was right, but we just couldn’t get anything started.”

The Hurricanes could only manage 189 yards of total offense, while the Cavaliers put up 418 yards. The Canes also managed only three third-down conversions, while Virginia had seven. Virginia also won the turnover battle five to one.

Quarterback Kyle Wright was back after missing the loss against NC State, but not even his presence could spark the Hurricanes, who had lost two consecutive home games.

Wright went 9-for-23, threw for 94 yards, had three interceptions and no touchdowns and was sacked four times.

“I’m disappointed that we couldn’t get it done tonight,” Wright said. “We haven’t gotten it done all year. It was such a historic night, the last game at the Orange Bowl for all of the players and the fans. For us not to play well and get it done, it’s the worst loss I probably ever had to deal with.”

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...