The final game memory moment

The lights at the Orange Bowl, home of the NCAA record 58 straight home wins, went out for the last time after the Hurricanes (5-5, 2-4 ACC) were shut out 48-0 by No. 19 Virginia (9-2, 6-1 ACC).

With all of the emotions swirling about the final game at the Orange Bowl, the festivities were dulled by the sullen atmosphere created by the loss.

The last time the Hurricanes were shut out was Oct. 4, 1997 against Florida State; and the last time the Canes were shut out at home was Oct. 4, 1974. To top things off, this was the worst defeat the Canes have experienced since a 70-14 loss to Texas A&M on Dec. 8, 1944.

“It’s a bitter loss,” Head Coach Randy Shannon said. “A tough one, especially with it being the last one in the Orange Bowl and you lose 48-0. It’s very tough.”

That’s it? The final game. The final memory. The final moment.

On a night that was supposed to be marked by emotions and positive memories, people walked out of the OB early, fiery and hot, wondering how the Miami Hurricanes could be downed in such fashion.

“It was a tough one today…big-time tough loss for us,” Shannon said. “I feel very bad and disappointed for the city of Miami, Dade County and the University of Miami. I was expecting a better turnout from us as a team, and I’m disappointed because it hurts. The fans were out tonight, the atmosphere was right, but we just couldn’t get anything started.”

The Hurricanes could only manage 189 yards of total offense, while the Cavaliers put up 418 yards. The Canes also managed only three third-down conversions, while Virginia had seven. Virginia also won the turnover battle five to one.

Quarterback Kyle Wright was back after missing the loss against NC State, but not even his presence could spark the Hurricanes, who had lost two consecutive home games.

Wright went 9-for-23, threw for 94 yards, had three interceptions and no touchdowns and was sacked four times.

“I’m disappointed that we couldn’t get it done tonight,” Wright said. “We haven’t gotten it done all year. It was such a historic night, the last game at the Orange Bowl for all of the players and the fans. For us not to play well and get it done, it’s the worst loss I probably ever had to deal with.”

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...