The final game memory moment

The lights at the Orange Bowl, home of the NCAA record 58 straight home wins, went out for the last time after the Hurricanes (5-5, 2-4 ACC) were shut out 48-0 by No. 19 Virginia (9-2, 6-1 ACC).

With all of the emotions swirling about the final game at the Orange Bowl, the festivities were dulled by the sullen atmosphere created by the loss.

The last time the Hurricanes were shut out was Oct. 4, 1997 against Florida State; and the last time the Canes were shut out at home was Oct. 4, 1974. To top things off, this was the worst defeat the Canes have experienced since a 70-14 loss to Texas A&M on Dec. 8, 1944.

“It’s a bitter loss,” Head Coach Randy Shannon said. “A tough one, especially with it being the last one in the Orange Bowl and you lose 48-0. It’s very tough.”

That’s it? The final game. The final memory. The final moment.

On a night that was supposed to be marked by emotions and positive memories, people walked out of the OB early, fiery and hot, wondering how the Miami Hurricanes could be downed in such fashion.

“It was a tough one today…big-time tough loss for us,” Shannon said. “I feel very bad and disappointed for the city of Miami, Dade County and the University of Miami. I was expecting a better turnout from us as a team, and I’m disappointed because it hurts. The fans were out tonight, the atmosphere was right, but we just couldn’t get anything started.”

The Hurricanes could only manage 189 yards of total offense, while the Cavaliers put up 418 yards. The Canes also managed only three third-down conversions, while Virginia had seven. Virginia also won the turnover battle five to one.

Quarterback Kyle Wright was back after missing the loss against NC State, but not even his presence could spark the Hurricanes, who had lost two consecutive home games.

Wright went 9-for-23, threw for 94 yards, had three interceptions and no touchdowns and was sacked four times.

“I’m disappointed that we couldn’t get it done tonight,” Wright said. “We haven’t gotten it done all year. It was such a historic night, the last game at the Orange Bowl for all of the players and the fans. For us not to play well and get it done, it’s the worst loss I probably ever had to deal with.”

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes fell in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...