Culture

The day the Orange Bowl turned Purple

For one day, one performance, the Orange Bowl retired its trademark color and was renamed the “Purple Bowl” in honor of hosting Prince’s finale of his 1985 Purple Rain tour.

Prior to the construction of indoor super arenas which provide guests with the comforts of centralized air conditioning and protection from the rain, the Orange Bowl was the premier South Florida location for entertainers to book their tour at.

Other musical legends have walked the tunnels of the historic stadium include The Rolling Stones who performed their 1997 Bridges to Babylon tour at the Orange Bowl as well as Michael Jackson, Madonna, the Eagles, Bruce Springsteen and Metallica.

University of Miami alumni and multiple Grammy winner, Jon Secada, also performed at the Orange Bowl singing the National Anthem as well as the alma mater at the stadium’s final game last Saturday.

From football royalty to musical royalty, the Orange Bowl has been Miami’s castle on Biscayne’s wondrous shores.

Bari Lieberman is the EDGE Editor and may be contacted at b.lieberman@umiami.edu.

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...