The day the Orange Bowl turned Purple

For one day, one performance, the Orange Bowl retired its trademark color and was renamed the “Purple Bowl” in honor of hosting Prince’s finale of his 1985 Purple Rain tour.

Prior to the construction of indoor super arenas which provide guests with the comforts of centralized air conditioning and protection from the rain, the Orange Bowl was the premier South Florida location for entertainers to book their tour at.

Other musical legends have walked the tunnels of the historic stadium include The Rolling Stones who performed their 1997 Bridges to Babylon tour at the Orange Bowl as well as Michael Jackson, Madonna, the Eagles, Bruce Springsteen and Metallica.

University of Miami alumni and multiple Grammy winner, Jon Secada, also performed at the Orange Bowl singing the National Anthem as well as the alma mater at the stadium’s final game last Saturday.

From football royalty to musical royalty, the Orange Bowl has been Miami’s castle on Biscayne’s wondrous shores.

Bari Lieberman is the EDGE Editor and may be contacted at b.lieberman@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...