The day the Orange Bowl turned Purple

For one day, one performance, the Orange Bowl retired its trademark color and was renamed the “Purple Bowl” in honor of hosting Prince’s finale of his 1985 Purple Rain tour.

Prior to the construction of indoor super arenas which provide guests with the comforts of centralized air conditioning and protection from the rain, the Orange Bowl was the premier South Florida location for entertainers to book their tour at.

Other musical legends have walked the tunnels of the historic stadium include The Rolling Stones who performed their 1997 Bridges to Babylon tour at the Orange Bowl as well as Michael Jackson, Madonna, the Eagles, Bruce Springsteen and Metallica.

University of Miami alumni and multiple Grammy winner, Jon Secada, also performed at the Orange Bowl singing the National Anthem as well as the alma mater at the stadium’s final game last Saturday.

From football royalty to musical royalty, the Orange Bowl has been Miami’s castle on Biscayne’s wondrous shores.

Bari Lieberman is the EDGE Editor and may be contacted at b.lieberman@umiami.edu.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...