The day the Orange Bowl turned Purple

For one day, one performance, the Orange Bowl retired its trademark color and was renamed the “Purple Bowl” in honor of hosting Prince’s finale of his 1985 Purple Rain tour.

Prior to the construction of indoor super arenas which provide guests with the comforts of centralized air conditioning and protection from the rain, the Orange Bowl was the premier South Florida location for entertainers to book their tour at.

Other musical legends have walked the tunnels of the historic stadium include The Rolling Stones who performed their 1997 Bridges to Babylon tour at the Orange Bowl as well as Michael Jackson, Madonna, the Eagles, Bruce Springsteen and Metallica.

University of Miami alumni and multiple Grammy winner, Jon Secada, also performed at the Orange Bowl singing the National Anthem as well as the alma mater at the stadium’s final game last Saturday.

From football royalty to musical royalty, the Orange Bowl has been Miami’s castle on Biscayne’s wondrous shores.

Bari Lieberman is the EDGE Editor and may be contacted at b.lieberman@umiami.edu.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...