Orange Bowl to be demolished, may be replaced with baseball stadium

The Orange Bowl will be torn down early next year, the Miami city manager decided last week.

The news came from a spokesman for Pete Hernandez, who said the stadium will be demolished after its final scheduled game, a high school all-star matchup on Jan. 4.

The announcement, first reported by The Miami Herald Thursday, does not indicate a move to the spot by the Florida Marlins, simply a cost-cutting measure now that the stadium will not be used.

The demolition will likely take place in March or April. But before the bulldozers are called in, pieces of the Orange Bowl, including its urinals, will be auctioned. The January or February auctioning of Orange Bowl seats, urinals and other memorabilia will help defray the estimated $5 million to $7 million cost of its demolition.

The Orange Bowl’s final college football game will take place on Dec. 1 when Florida International University plays North Texas.

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...