Culture

OB FUN FACTS

From its opening in 1937 to 1959, the Orange Bowl was named Burdine Stadium after Roddy Burdine, one of Miami’s pioneers.

The first regular-season Miami Hurricanes football game played at the Orange Bowl was on Oct. 1, 1937, against Georgia Southern when the Hurricanes won 40-0.

The FedEx Orange Bowl Classic moved to Dolphin
Stadium in 1996. The game was played once more at the Orange Bowl in 1999, due to a Dolphins playoff game at what is now Dolphin Stadium.

Orange Bowl Breakdown
Surface: Prescription Athletic Turf, formerly artificial grass
Original cost: $340,000
Original seating capacity: 23,330
Current seating capacity: 72,319

Dolphin Stadium Breakdown
Video boards: the largest hi-definition video boards in pro sports and the longest LED ribbon board in the world.
Televisions: around 2,000 flat-screen TV monitors
Parking: more than 22,000 parking spaces

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...