Move to impact local businesses

Gathered around a concession stand, a family of seven smile, chat and listen to the game score as they wait on the southeast corner of the Orange Bowl to sell hot dogs and sodas to passers-by.

But smiles fade when the move to Dolphin Stadium is brought up.

“The move will affect us a lot because we come to sell when the games are here,” said Ana Oroza, the mother of the family. Oroza noted that she usually makes about $1,500 per game. “We aren’t allowed to sell anywhere else.”

Gregory Wright, stadium manager for the Orange Bowl, said residents who live near the OB and are employed at the football games will no longer work at the stadium once the university moves because it will be torn down after Jan. 4. Thus far, OB events have brought in $1.2 million in concession-stand revenue.

“I’m devastated because I’m going to have to start washing cars soon,” said Brandon Portillo, an ID checker and student at Braddock High School. “This is so much easier.”

Although the nearby residents benefit from the games, many do not rely on the seven home games a year as income.

Martha Cabrera sells parking outside of her apartment, which is located across the street from the Orange Bowl. She charges $20 or $40 per space depending on the game.

“I do it for extra money,” said Cabrera, who started selling at 3 p.m. for Saturday night’s game. She waits by the cars until the game is over. “It’s not a good thing that the university is moving because a few extra bucks isn’t bad.”

The people who work inside the Orange Bowl are usually hired by temporary agencies. Wright said a majority of workers will be transferred to other services within the city’s Department of Public Facilities, such as the American Airlines Arena.

The Contemporary Services Corporation, which provides jobs at both the Orange Bowl and Dolphin Stadium, will give OB employees the opportunity to transfer to Dolphin Stadium, said CSC event staff member Justin Cortez.

“It breaks my heart to see the original home of the Canes move, but at least we’re going with them,” Cortez said.

Calvin Foxe, warehouse manager at the Orange Bowl, said he will be a supervisor at Dolphin Stadium, but will be paid less because more supervisors are hired at Dolphin Stadium.

“Economically, it’s more profitable here,” said Foxe, who has worked at the OB for seven years. “I’m not looking forward to them shutting this down.”

Because some OB employees may not be able to transfer to Dolphin Stadium, vacant jobs will be filled by off-duty police officers from the city of Miami and smaller police agencies throughout southern Dade County, Wright said.

As for the neighboring businesses and residents who cannot move with the university, Wright thinks they will be employed through other means.

“Hopefully, city leaders will be able to negotiate a new stadium deal with the Florida Marlins that will again bring events and activities, and the people who support them back into the area,” Wright said. “The area and its residents will need that economic boost to their economy.”

Analisa Harangozo may be contacted at a.harangozo@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...