Goodbye, farewell and, after Saturday night, good riddance

She told us not to rush the field.

Leave it to Donna Shalala to count her chickens before they’re beaten 48-0 by Virginia.

You see, the only reason any Hurricanes fan would’ve hopped the fence on Saturday night would have been to give the Hurricanes players and coaches a jawful.

Luckily, the fans were gone by halftime.

Never before has the Orange Bowl witnessed a shutout to such a grand scale, and never again will the OB have to. In fact, the last home shutout, 3-0 at the hands of Auburn in 1974, was not only a respectable defeat, it predated most of us by at least a decade.

Credit Al Groh’s boys for this: On a night of role reversal, Virginia stormed like a hurricane through Miami’s cavalier effort. And, as long as we’re giving credit where credit is due, Virginia made it too easy for Canes fans to part ways with our beloved stadium, the uneasy, queasy feeling reminiscent of being double-crossed by your one true love.

Even with a win on Saturday, it would have been hard to top the many magical moments that the Orange Bowl gave witness to.

So, as we embark on a new future in Dolphin Stadium, perhaps this was the greatest blessing in disguise.

For, as Canes filtered out from the city’s old jewel, there was certainly no turning back.

– Ben Minkus
Class of 2006

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...