From learning to memory

Before the Orange Bowl, football to me was Ronaldinho and Joga Bonito. But “futbol” and “football” are two completely different things. Coming here from Venezuela, I had to adapt.

I came here with no knowledge and no interest in the great American tradition, until I was introduced to the Canes and their home field.

I had to learn some of the basic rules and plays before I went to my first game, so I did my homework and tagged along with the guys of Walsh 5 without major expectations.

To my surprise, something about the setting, the energy and the rhythm of the game won me over. I felt that the crowd and I stood as one and that the Hurricanes were MY team.

From that moment on, being at “the U” made even more sense to me. I became a Miami Hurricane thanks to football at the Orange Bowl.

Now that it’s time to say goodbye, I feel like a child who is giving up her first bike. I learned everything I know standing amongst the Miami faithful, so it’s hard to give it up – but the memory will live on every time I hear the word “football.”

Football to me is the Miami Hurricanes. Football to me is the Orange Bowl.

– Irene Daboin
International Student
i.daboin@umiami.edu

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...