From learning to memory

Before the Orange Bowl, football to me was Ronaldinho and Joga Bonito. But “futbol” and “football” are two completely different things. Coming here from Venezuela, I had to adapt.

I came here with no knowledge and no interest in the great American tradition, until I was introduced to the Canes and their home field.

I had to learn some of the basic rules and plays before I went to my first game, so I did my homework and tagged along with the guys of Walsh 5 without major expectations.

To my surprise, something about the setting, the energy and the rhythm of the game won me over. I felt that the crowd and I stood as one and that the Hurricanes were MY team.

From that moment on, being at “the U” made even more sense to me. I became a Miami Hurricane thanks to football at the Orange Bowl.

Now that it’s time to say goodbye, I feel like a child who is giving up her first bike. I learned everything I know standing amongst the Miami faithful, so it’s hard to give it up – but the memory will live on every time I hear the word “football.”

Football to me is the Miami Hurricanes. Football to me is the Orange Bowl.

– Irene Daboin
International Student
i.daboin@umiami.edu

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...