WHY DENY THE O.B.VIOUS?

See also:
Rushing the Field
Special Events

The motto of our university is magna est veritas: Truth is great. Given the performance of the current school administration with regard to its handling of all things related to the Orange Bowl, this motto is less a tribute to the pursuit of honest inquiry than to our school’s capacity for self-parody. Instead of honest statements of substance, we receive platitudes about plasma screens. Instead of a forthright assessment of what went wrong in the negotiations with the city of Miami, we got a press release that seemed to have been written by Manny Diaz’s campaign staff.

The latest insult to our collective intelligence comes in the form of the Nov. 1 “Letter to the University Community.” Yes, we are certain that some fans are planning to rush the field at the close of the Virginia game, but maybe there’s a reason. This will be the end of a long and illustrious era in the history of the university, the city and all of sports, and these fans have a sense of the importance behind this occasion.

Our favorite part of the letter is the section that points out that rushing the field “is a move that could have serious consequences indeed.” We can only hope that the drone in the legal department who wrote this got his or her degree at some other institution.

The university does have some understandable reasons for not allowing the rushing – students could be injured, FIU still has two games to play and the desire to maintain order – maybe the university is underestimating the ability of student’s to rush the field as a peaceful goodbye, not a violent swarm.

It is indeed true that ACC rules prohibit storming the field. It is also true that the ACC has a sense of history and understands (sadly more than our own administration) that rules are meant to be broken.

We demand that the university acknowledge the true reasons behind its stance on rushing the field: A fear of liability for injuries that may be sustained by those who rush the field, a fear of being “judged” in the national press and a fear of the city of Miami officials. Though we do commend President Donna E. Shalala for saying she wishes that students could rush, one would think that if the president of a university wishes for something to happen, it would.

Good day to everyone. The sun had just risen and those fax machines were already humming. The first ...

So what’s UM getting with this recruiting class, among players already committed, most or all of who ...

On the eve of the early signing period, the new University of Miami defensive coordinators met the m ...

The early signing period is finally here and the Miami Hurricanes’ class is, at least for now, disap ...

Photo Gallery: UM football availabiilty | Tuesday, December 18, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Students in a School of Architecture design studio addressed some of Miami’s most intractable proble ...

Miami Law's Human Rights Clinic is intervening in a case focused on the issue of accountability ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

Things have changed in Coral Gables since the end of the regular season, but there will be a familia ...

Canes and Houston Baptist play at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24/23 Miami women's basketball team will begin play at the Florida Sunshine Classic in ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Miami women's basketball team is ranked in the top 25 of both major national polls this wee ...