What’s going on?

November 8: Today

Judge Helmut Tuerk, former Austrian ambassador to the U.S., will present “Combating Terrorism at Sea: The Suppression of Unlawful Acts Against the Safety of Maritime Navigation” at noon in the Alma Jennings Foundation Student Lounge at The School of Law.

Patio Jams will feature Fitzroy, a Caribbean funk/hip-hop artist, from noon to 1:30 p.m. at the UC Patio.

The Lowe Art Museum will feature “Material Terrain: A Sculptural Exploration of Landscape and Place,” by Ming Fay from 7 to 9:30 p.m.

The Hindu Students Council is hosting Diwali Puja on the UC Rock to celebrate the new year with bahjans and free Indian food from 7 to 9 p.m.

The Center for Latin American Studies will present George Yúdice’s lecture “Knowledge Production in the Age of the Creative Economy” in Wesley Gallery at 7 p.m.

November 9: Friday

UMTV is hosting a Viewing and Ice Cream Party with free Wall’s Ice Cream from 7:30 to 11:30 p.m. in the UC Ballrooms.

November 10: Saturday

The Cosford Cinema will screen “Live-in Maid” at 2, 6 and 10 p.m.

November 11: Sunday

UM Hillel and Jewish-Greek Life Liaisons will host Greek Bagel Brunch on the Panhellenic Patio from noon to 2 p.m.

The Society of Composers, Inc. will perform at Gusman Concert Hall from 7 to 9 p.m.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...