OB to be torn down, GOP forum set, Hardball confirmed

City to tear down Orange Bowl

BY MATTHEW BUNCH
POSTED NOV. 8 AT 6:25 P.M.

The Miami city manager has decided to tear down the Orange Bowl.

The news came from a spokesman of Pete Hernandez, who said the stadium would be torn down after the stadium’s final scheduled game, an High School All-Star matchup on Jan. 4.

The announcement, first reported by The Miami Herald reported Thursday, is not indicative of a move to the spot by the Marlins, simply a cost-cutting measure now that the stadium will not be used.

Pieces of the 70-year-old stadium will be sold after it is torn down.

Check TheMiamiHurricane.com for updates.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

GOP candidate forum planned for December

BY KARYN MESHBANE
POSTED NOV. 8 AT 7:49 P.M.

The University of Miami, along with Univision, has confirmed it will co-host the Republican presidential candidate forum on Dec. 9, said the university’s vice president for government affairs.

Rudy Fernandez said the six confirmed candidates are former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, Arizona Sen. John McCain, former New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani, former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson, Texas Rep. Ron Paul and California Rep. Duncan Hunter.

Parallel to the Sept. 9 Democratic candidate forum, the GOP candidates will focus on issues relevant to the Latino population. Questions will be asked in Spanish with simultaneous English translation for the candidates, whose English-language responses will be translated for Univision viewers.

Of the eight candidates invited, Rep. Tom Tancredo of Colorado was the only candidate to decline, and Univision is still waiting to hear back from former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee.

The number of student tickets has yet to be decided, but will be similar to September’s forum. Unlike the previous debate, tickets will be provided through a student lottery run through the Division of Student Affairs.

“It’s part of energizing a very important part of the electorate – the youth vote,” Fernandez said. “The [university]wants to make sure students are informed.”

Hardball with Chris Matthews

BY KARYN MESHBANE
POSTED NOV. 8 AT 7:49 P.M.

The university announced earlier this week that Chris Matthews will be hosting Hardball on campus from the BankUnited Center on Nov. 26 and Nov. 27.

Fernandez, the vice president of government affairs, said that 1,500 tickets will be allotted for students for each airing. These tickets will be distributed via lottery.

Both Hardball episodes will feature prominent, nationally-known guests, he said, noting MSNBC is still working on confirming the guests.

To enter lottery, log onto MyUM, select the “Life at UM” tab, select “Other Functions” and select “Student Lottery for Hardball with Chris Matthews.”

The lottery began Nov. 9 and will be open through Nov. 13 10 a.m.

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...