OB to be torn down, GOP forum set, Hardball confirmed

City to tear down Orange Bowl

BY MATTHEW BUNCH
POSTED NOV. 8 AT 6:25 P.M.

The Miami city manager has decided to tear down the Orange Bowl.

The news came from a spokesman of Pete Hernandez, who said the stadium would be torn down after the stadium’s final scheduled game, an High School All-Star matchup on Jan. 4.

The announcement, first reported by The Miami Herald reported Thursday, is not indicative of a move to the spot by the Marlins, simply a cost-cutting measure now that the stadium will not be used.

Pieces of the 70-year-old stadium will be sold after it is torn down.

Check TheMiamiHurricane.com for updates.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

GOP candidate forum planned for December

BY KARYN MESHBANE
POSTED NOV. 8 AT 7:49 P.M.

The University of Miami, along with Univision, has confirmed it will co-host the Republican presidential candidate forum on Dec. 9, said the university’s vice president for government affairs.

Rudy Fernandez said the six confirmed candidates are former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, Arizona Sen. John McCain, former New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani, former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson, Texas Rep. Ron Paul and California Rep. Duncan Hunter.

Parallel to the Sept. 9 Democratic candidate forum, the GOP candidates will focus on issues relevant to the Latino population. Questions will be asked in Spanish with simultaneous English translation for the candidates, whose English-language responses will be translated for Univision viewers.

Of the eight candidates invited, Rep. Tom Tancredo of Colorado was the only candidate to decline, and Univision is still waiting to hear back from former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee.

The number of student tickets has yet to be decided, but will be similar to September’s forum. Unlike the previous debate, tickets will be provided through a student lottery run through the Division of Student Affairs.

“It’s part of energizing a very important part of the electorate – the youth vote,” Fernandez said. “The [university]wants to make sure students are informed.”

Hardball with Chris Matthews

BY KARYN MESHBANE
POSTED NOV. 8 AT 7:49 P.M.

The university announced earlier this week that Chris Matthews will be hosting Hardball on campus from the BankUnited Center on Nov. 26 and Nov. 27.

Fernandez, the vice president of government affairs, said that 1,500 tickets will be allotted for students for each airing. These tickets will be distributed via lottery.

Both Hardball episodes will feature prominent, nationally-known guests, he said, noting MSNBC is still working on confirming the guests.

To enter lottery, log onto MyUM, select the “Life at UM” tab, select “Other Functions” and select “Student Lottery for Hardball with Chris Matthews.”

The lottery began Nov. 9 and will be open through Nov. 13 10 a.m.

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...