Law school admissions keeps average LSAT rule

Many law schools are now evaluating applicants based on their highest LSAT score rather than their average score, though the University of Miami Law School is not one of them.

This trend is due to a recent American Bar Association policy change. Before June 2006, law schools submitted data based on the average score of their incoming class. Now the ABA asks for incoming students’ highest scores.

Michael L. Goodnight, assistant dean of Admissions and Enrollment Management for UM’s law school, said the admissions process is not going to change, noting that the Law School Admissions Council determined that students’ average scores are most indicative of their first-year performance.

“We’ve always taken a look at all the scores,” Goodnight said. “If there is a large discrepancy between two scores, we ask a student why that happened and we may still take the top score. That’s always been our policy.”

The change in LSAT score evaluation may attract more pre-law students, said Eva M. Alonso, director of Transfer and Pre-Law Advising.

“In the past you would always take the test once and your LSAT score was your scarlet letter,” Alonso said. “If you got a 148, you’re scarred for life. Now there’s hope.”

Karin Dreyer and Rebecca Sarinsky, both first year law students, agree that more people will take the test multiple times.

“People will study lighter,” Sarinsky said. “People will take it once just to see how they do.”

Goodnight said the number of times a student takes the LSAT will not affect the goal of the admission process.

“Our goal is to determine as best we can if a student is going to be successful,” Goodnight said. “That’s the bottom line.”

Kelly Herson may be contacted at k.herson@umiami.edu.

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...