Culture

Jay-Z channels film’s protagonist on soundtrack

In 1996, an unknown Jay-Z released one of rap’s masterpieces, Reasonable Doubt, to minimal fanfare, yet he established himself as one of the most lyrically gifted “gangster” rappers ever. Eleven years later, after eight more albums and a nearly unparalleled number of records sold, Jay-Z sits high on his throne.

Ridley Scott’s American Gangster starring Denzel Washington hit theaters last week, and who better to create the official soundtrack than rap’s true “American Gangster”?

Jay-Z’s newest release is yet another collection of hits on one album. The disc begins with an intro featuring Denzel Washington’s monologue in American Gangster, and soon jumps into the Marvin Gaye-sampled “American Dreamin’,” one of several soulful tracks on the album. On “Roc Boys,” the album’s second single, Jay mirrors the glamorous life of gangster Frank Lucas with a catchy horn-laced anthem.

On “Ignorant Sh*t,” Jay questions modern music and culture. On the Jermaine Dupri-produced and Bilal-featured “Fallin’,” Jay raps about the pain of failure and the inevitable fall from the top on this introspective track.

All in all, Jay’s newest album is a success and will likely get much greater acclaim than his last effort. He is simply a consistent and masterful rap artist. The style of the album is very blues-like and seems to belong in the ’70s. Despite the questionable and oddly offbeat “Hello Brooklyn 2.0,” Jay strengthens his grip on rap music yet again.

Dan Buyanovsky may be contacted at d.buyanovsky@umiami.edu.

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...