WOMEN’S VOLLEYBALL: Duke too much to handle

The University of Miami women’s volleyball team was swept by ACC leader Duke Friday night at Cameron Indoor Stadium in Durham, N.C.

Miami drops to 10-14 on the season and 4-11 in ACC play while the No. 14 Duke improves to 19-4 on the season and 14-1 in ACC play.

Miami came into Friday’s matchup looking to win back-to-back games for the first time since Sept. 20 and 21 against Virginia and Virginia Tech, respectively.

Sophomore Cassie Loessberg was valiant in the effort for the Canes, as she reached the 20-dig mark for the 10th time this season. Three different Hurricanes recorded five-plus kills, including freshman Maria Andersson, junior Bridget Bomhack and senior Ciara Michel.

Freshman standout Katie Gallagher continued to dominate in the assists column with 25, while also adding 10 digs. Junior Angelica Ellis contributed in the effort with three service aces.

Reigning ACC player of the week Ali Hausfeld continued her terrific play as of late for the Blue Devils. She recorded 42 assists to go along with her seven digs. Coming into the game, Hausfeld ranked first in the nation with an average of 14.24 assists per game.

The key to the match was at the front court. Duke out-blocked UM with twelve total team blocks to UM’s two. The Blue Devils maintained a dominant presence at the net throughout the match.

Playing the best team might have brought out the best in the Canes, as early in game one they looked energized and took an 8-4 lead. But Duke proceeded to go on a 6-0 run and never looked back. They won the first game convincingly, 30-20.

Both teams played a sloppy first game, where Miami and Duke recorded eight and seven unforced errors, respectively. Duke finished game one with .217 kill percentage, while Miami was in the negative numbers, finishing with exactly -.026 percent.

The Blue Devils took their momentum from game one right into game two and jumped out to an early 5-1 lead. The Hurricanes made a mini rally to tie the game up at nine, but Duke would respond with a 7-2 run to build a lead of five. Then they capped the game off by going on another 7-2 run that gave them the win, 30-22.

In game three, Duke maintained their poise and composure and completed the sweep, 30-20. Miami committed twice as many errors as Duke, with six errors to Duke’s three.

The Blue Devils swept the Canes in both meetings between the two teams this season. Miami has not chalked up a win over the Duke since 2002.

The Hurricanes continue to struggle, losing 10 of their last 12 games. Duke has won five in a row, boasting a 10-1 record at home, while Miami is 3-6 on the road.

Miami will return to the home court on Friday, Nov. 9 at 7 p.m. to face Maryland.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at j.antweil@umiami.edu.

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...