University Village road construction expected to last three months

When senior Dominic Maggio parks his car on Albenga Avenue in University Village, he moves out of the driver’s seat and instead exits through the passenger side door to avoid stepping in the large puddle to the left side of his car.

“The worst part about [the streets]is the parking,” Maggio said. “I don’t know how much worse it’s going to be.”

Construction began on the roads in and around the University Village last Monday, and affected traffic on San Amaro Drive in addition to Scodella, Liguria, Albenga and Corniche Avenues.

Excavation for underground storm drains, re-grading of roads and troughs and pavement removal are all part of the construction plans.

The construction will be done in three phases to avoid completely shutting down the streets. Each of the three phases will take four weeks to finish, and the scheduled date of completion is Jan. 21, according to the Village Web site.

Garages, parking lots and fraternity houses around the Village will be accessible, but many roads will be unpaved during construction and restricted to local traffic only.

Hurry ‘Cane shuttle routes have also been altered to accommodate the construction. All shuttle stops along Bescia and Scodella Avenues will be closed during construction, and temporary alternative stops will be placed at the corner of San Amaro Drive and Levante Avenue, Village Drive and Albenga and Liguria Avenue.

Some students living in the Village said they won’t mind the delays

“It’ll cause some inconveniences, but I think everyone knows they’re trying to fix it,” senior Clay Wade said.

Although construction will span three months, other students agree that it is necessary.

“I’m was afraid I [would]get stuck in one of the puddles,” said Dane Turner, a senior who usually doesn’t drive after it rains because the puddles would reach “almost eight inches deep.” “As long as they don’t completely shut down the shuttles, I should be OK for classes.”

Felipe Yanez may be contacted at f.yanez@umiami.edu and zander kean may be contacted at a.kean@
umiami.edu.

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...