Kweli homecoming concert shut down mid-song

Hip-hop artist Talib Kweli’s performance for Homecoming Friday night, which began 20 minutes late, came to an abrupt close after the music was stopped mid-song.

Police approached Hurricane Productions, the event’s organizer, and told the group they had to shut off the sound, said Andrew Hunter, HP’s large venue concert chair. Hunter said the message was relayed to the production company, Unique Productions, which shut down the performance.

A Coral Gables noise ordinance restricts loud music after midnight, although Kweli’s performance was scheduled to end before that time.

Kweli’s set was scheduled to start at 11 p.m. and go for 45 minutes, with 15 minutes left for an encore, Hunter said. Kweli did not begin his set until about 11:20 p.m. because of problems during the changeover of bands on stage, he added. Robert Randolph and the Family Band was the opening act.
Police on the scene said they had nothing to do with the shutdown.

“I have no idea why the music turned off,” said Sgt. E. Claughton, who stood with other officers as the crowd broke up.

Hunter said Kweli, who expressed frustration with his show being cut short, was “100 percent aware” of the noise rule, noting it would have been stipulated in his contract.

Representatives for Kweli and Unique Productions could not be reached for comment Sunday.

Hundreds of students lingered after the show was halted, with many expressing frustration at the way the show ended.

Several dozen students chased Kweli’s car, clearing the Richter Green even more. Others who left the concert area made their way to the UC Rock.

Emanuel Fidalgo, who stood close to the stage during the show, initially thought the shutdown was due to technical difficulties.

Fidalgo, a junior, said Kweli tried to hush the crowd. He said Kweli told the audience, “That’s some disrespectful sh**,” before knocking down the microphone stands and emptying water bottles.

“We wished we could be up there with him, wrecking the stage,” Fidalgo said.

“But we didn’t want to do anything crazy.”

Anthony Wojtkowiak, a senior, also stood near the stage.

“The crowd exploded,” he said. “People were chanting, ‘Let’s start a riot,’ throwing stuff on stage. People didn’t know what to think.”

Student Government President Danny Carvajal, who walked by the scene where students chased Kweli’s car, called the shutdown “terrible.”

Hunter said he thought the student reaction to the shutdown was warranted, but also kept it in perspective.

“I think that overall it was an extremely positive experience for everyone,” he said. “I think, with the exception of the ending, everything went extremely well.”

Greg Linch may be contacted at gregl@miami.edu.

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...