Interview Dr. Pascal J. Goldschmidt

CORAL GABLES – After leaving Duke University to become dean of the Miller School of Medicine, Dr. Pascal J. Goldschmidt came to the University of Miami with big plans.

One of his major goals as the dean is to elevate UM’s status to a top research school in the United States.

Since he came to UM in April 2006, he has created a new institute in the area of genetics and genomics, and he is also developing the Interdisciplinary Stem Cell Institute, along with researchers from Johns Hopkins University.

The following is from an interview with Goldschmidt on Oct. 15:

Q: You were the director of Cardiology at the Ohio State University College of Medicine and Public Health, and then you became the Chief of Cardiology at Duke University where you were promoted to chairman of the department of medicine. What do you think is your biggest challenge as the senior vice president for medical affairs and dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine?

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...