Interview Dr. Pascal J. Goldschmidt

CORAL GABLES – After leaving Duke University to become dean of the Miller School of Medicine, Dr. Pascal J. Goldschmidt came to the University of Miami with big plans.

One of his major goals as the dean is to elevate UM’s status to a top research school in the United States.

Since he came to UM in April 2006, he has created a new institute in the area of genetics and genomics, and he is also developing the Interdisciplinary Stem Cell Institute, along with researchers from Johns Hopkins University.

The following is from an interview with Goldschmidt on Oct. 15:

Q: You were the director of Cardiology at the Ohio State University College of Medicine and Public Health, and then you became the Chief of Cardiology at Duke University where you were promoted to chairman of the department of medicine. What do you think is your biggest challenge as the senior vice president for medical affairs and dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine?

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...