Don’t make it a rushing game

In response to Justin Antweil’s “Let’s rush the field,” let me first congratulate your spirit and the show of support that can be gleaned between the lines of your opinion piece; our football team needs it. However, [although]rushing the field may be tradition at other football stadiums, it has never been a tradition at the Orange Bowl. I spent many years with the Miami Police Department and was the event commander for many UM games and Dolphin games at the OB, including the wide-right and wide-left versus FSU. I was there, were you?

I was very proud to look into the stands at those great games as the final gun sounded and see fanaticism at the highest possible level. You couldn’t hear yourself think, yet not one student or fan rushed the field. I guess our fans “get it” when it comes to this; they get the fact that rushing the field gets people hurt and gets people arrested. I would hate to see your career and the wellness of your future family be destroyed because you were one of those arrested for rushing the field and now you can no longer become a lawyer, firefighter, police officer or teacher because you made a dumb mistake. Don’t risk it. Celebrate in the footsteps and [on the]shoulders of all those previous UM fans that comported themselves with the decorum and fanaticism of a true Cane.

David A. Rivero
Chief, UMPD
chief@miami.edu

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...