Two student dance teams place first at state competition

Hurricane Raas and Hurricane Bhangra stole the stage at IndiaFest in Tampa, Fla., otherwise known as TampaFest, for the second year in a row.

Raas is a highly energetic, fast-paced dance played with two sticks that are about one and a half feet long. It is a form of dance that originated in Gujarat, India.

Bhangra is a lively form of folk dance, which originated in Punjab, India. Bhangra includes someone playing the dhol (drum), flute, dholak (another type of drum) and various other instruments.

Both Hurricane dance competition teams represented the University of Miami and competed at a high level, allowing them to secure their second consecutive first place finishes at the annual event.

“The feeling is awesome,” Raas co-choreographer Amar Mandalia said. “It’s a great feeling to know that we’re one of the top teams in Florida.”

The victories by both Hurricane teams are very meaningful, as TampaFest normally attracts the top raas and bhangra teams in Florida.

First place, though, did not come easy, as they are the fruits of hours of choreographing and practice. Hurricane Raas was choreographed by Mandalia and Ami Panara, while Hurricane Bhangra was choreographed by Soni Dhand and Neil Shah.

The hard work and dedication put in by these choreographers was equally matched by the rest of the team, who have put in roughly six or more hours of practice each week since the beginning of the semester.

For their first place win, both teams received $500 toward their teams.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...