Two student dance teams place first at state competition

Hurricane Raas and Hurricane Bhangra stole the stage at IndiaFest in Tampa, Fla., otherwise known as TampaFest, for the second year in a row.

Raas is a highly energetic, fast-paced dance played with two sticks that are about one and a half feet long. It is a form of dance that originated in Gujarat, India.

Bhangra is a lively form of folk dance, which originated in Punjab, India. Bhangra includes someone playing the dhol (drum), flute, dholak (another type of drum) and various other instruments.

Both Hurricane dance competition teams represented the University of Miami and competed at a high level, allowing them to secure their second consecutive first place finishes at the annual event.

“The feeling is awesome,” Raas co-choreographer Amar Mandalia said. “It’s a great feeling to know that we’re one of the top teams in Florida.”

The victories by both Hurricane teams are very meaningful, as TampaFest normally attracts the top raas and bhangra teams in Florida.

First place, though, did not come easy, as they are the fruits of hours of choreographing and practice. Hurricane Raas was choreographed by Mandalia and Ami Panara, while Hurricane Bhangra was choreographed by Soni Dhand and Neil Shah.

The hard work and dedication put in by these choreographers was equally matched by the rest of the team, who have put in roughly six or more hours of practice each week since the beginning of the semester.

For their first place win, both teams received $500 toward their teams.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team improved to 3-0 on the season following a 6-1 triumph ...