Sports Briefs

Cross Country
Canes wrap up at ACC Championships

The University of Miami finished the 2007 ACC Cross Country Championships with a pair of 12th-place finishes for their men’s and women’s teams.

Junior Ryan Woodlee led the way for the Hurricane men, finishing 73rd. Rounding out the field for the men were senior Alex Paley, who finished 76th; junior Andrew Chuplis, who finished 88th; junior Vincent Giambanco, who finished 89th; freshman Greg Grosicki, who finished 90th; and junior Eric Miller, who finished 91st.

The Hurricane women were led by senior Delia Phlatts, who finished 74th. Junior Ena Leufroy finished 84th, freshman Caitlin Knapp finished 88th, freshman Katherine Woodard finished 89th, freshman Jackie Sullivan finished 90th and junior Anika Arevalo finished 91st.

Baseball
University to host annual alumni game

The annual alumni game, hosted by the University of Miami baseball team, has been moved up so it can be hosted in concurrence with Homecoming festivities. The game will be played on Nov. 2 at 5 p.m. at Mark Light Field.

Admission to this nine-inning game is free to the public, and more than 40 former players are expected to attend the event. Some the former players who are expected to lace up against this season’s Hurricane squad are Jim Burt, Brandon Carmadese, Richard Giannotti, Joey Hooft, Danny Gil, Adam Ricks, Eddy Rodriguez, Javy Rodriguez and Danny Valencia.

Golf
Hirano leads Canes with strong performance

The women’s golf team finished in 15th place at the Edwin Watts/Palmetto Intercollegiate.

Freshman Christina Hirano led the way for the Canes, as she finished tied for 11th overall. Senior Hagen Weintraub also had a good performance, finishing tied for 21st.

Additionally, junior Jessica Steward finished tied for 74th, while Marion Argi finished 96th overall.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com and The Miami Herald.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...