Rocking out with New Orleans pride

Hailing from Louisiana, Meriwether is a band that’s proud of its hometown. Singer/guitarist Drew Reilley says that Louisiana is a part of the band and mix rock ‘n’ roll with their eclectic background.

Their latest album, Make You Move, kicks off with a bang with the track “New Orleans R.I.P.,” a look into the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. After the first two up-tempo songs, “B Quiet” follows, slowing the pace and actually improving upon the previous tunes.

“Machine Gun Baby” may be the best song on the album, with the guitars chugging away like a freight train and a beat that makes you want to get up and jump along with the song. It is followed by the nearly-as-good “Smile Hats,” providing a very good one-two punch in the middle of the album.

Meriwether has absolutely no trouble rocking out. The guitars, bass and drums are all solid, if unspectacular, but they provide pounding, throbbing beats that Reilley can sing over. He has a good voice, as he proves on some of the tracks, and there are some nice harmonies on a few songs. But the vocals can be a little irritating, as every once in a while they become quavering and shaky.

The biggest problem with this album is that some of the songs have little sense of direction. Most of them have choruses, but they can be hard to find. That also makes a few of the tunes sound similar. But for a good musical performance with decent lyrics, make your move toward this album.

Joey Held may be contacted at j.held1@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...