Reigning supreme for Homecoming

Homecoming facts

Homecoming 2007 started this week.Below are some are events, history and weather updates:

Notable events at UM

The Equestrian Polo Team was the first to win a National Championship. They also were undefeated from 1948-1951
The Orange Bowl was originally Rodney Burdine Stadium. The Hurricanes played their first game there in 1937.
SUMMON (1966)-Students at the Universtiy of Miami Move On Need, was the first volunteer group on campus. It was originally organized and directed by Polly Cook.
The first classes were held in the Anastasia building on the corner of LeJeune road and University drive.
The nickname given to UM during its early year’s was “Cardboard College” because construction of the buildings had not been complete and cardboard was used as partitions between the classrooms.
Hurricane Kate of 1926 delayed the opening of the University from Sept. to Oct. 15, 1926.
The original name of the University was Pan-American University.
UM has won football national championships in the years 1983, 1987, 1989, 1991, 2001.

Homecoming events

All students, faculty, administration and staff are welcome to attend all Homecoming events, coordinated by the Homecoming Executive Committee.

Alma Mater Finals & Spirit Tree: Nov. 1 at 11:30 a.m. – UC Rock & Ashe Building Archway
Parade: Nov. 2 at 7 p.m. – Stanford Drive and Ponce de Leon Boulevard
Hurricane Howl: Nov. 2 at 8:30 p.m. – UC Green. Includes Kidsville, pep rally, boat burning, fireworks, food, and concert sponsored by Hurricane Productions featuring Robert Randolph and the Family Band and Talib Kweli)
Homecoming Football Game vs. NC State: Nov. 3 at noon – Orange Bowl

How weather will affect Homecoming

Events will continue as planned, rain or shine, said the office of student activities. But if there is “impending doom” due to inclement weather, events may be cancelled. Students will be notified if news and weather reports predict severe weather.

– By Kelly Herson