Reigning supreme for Homecoming

Homecoming facts

Homecoming 2007 started this week.Below are some are events, history and weather updates:

Notable events at UM

The Equestrian Polo Team was the first to win a National Championship. They also were undefeated from 1948-1951
The Orange Bowl was originally Rodney Burdine Stadium. The Hurricanes played their first game there in 1937.
SUMMON (1966)-Students at the Universtiy of Miami Move On Need, was the first volunteer group on campus. It was originally organized and directed by Polly Cook.
The first classes were held in the Anastasia building on the corner of LeJeune road and University drive.
The nickname given to UM during its early year’s was “Cardboard College” because construction of the buildings had not been complete and cardboard was used as partitions between the classrooms.
Hurricane Kate of 1926 delayed the opening of the University from Sept. to Oct. 15, 1926.
The original name of the University was Pan-American University.
UM has won football national championships in the years 1983, 1987, 1989, 1991, 2001.

Homecoming events

All students, faculty, administration and staff are welcome to attend all Homecoming events, coordinated by the Homecoming Executive Committee.

Alma Mater Finals & Spirit Tree: Nov. 1 at 11:30 a.m. – UC Rock & Ashe Building Archway
Parade: Nov. 2 at 7 p.m. – Stanford Drive and Ponce de Leon Boulevard
Hurricane Howl: Nov. 2 at 8:30 p.m. – UC Green. Includes Kidsville, pep rally, boat burning, fireworks, food, and concert sponsored by Hurricane Productions featuring Robert Randolph and the Family Band and Talib Kweli)
Homecoming Football Game vs. NC State: Nov. 3 at noon – Orange Bowl

How weather will affect Homecoming

Events will continue as planned, rain or shine, said the office of student activities. But if there is “impending doom” due to inclement weather, events may be cancelled. Students will be notified if news and weather reports predict severe weather.

– By Kelly Herson

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...