Louisiana flavor hits the Grove

New Orleans’ cuisine has made it to South Miami through the swank Christabelle’s Quarter in Coconut Grove. But this ornate three-story restaurant serves more than just great food, it also offers a bar and dance floor for guests to revel in New Orleans’ Mardi Gras fashion until early morning hours.

For those interested in Cajun and Creole and a good time, Christabelle’s Quarter deserves a stop on a night out in the Grove. The dinner menu is a bit pricey, with entrees starting at $19 and up, but it offers a great seafood selection like Charbroiled Louisiana Oysters and Louisiana Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes.

People looking for the traditional chicken dinners should look elsewhere, but for those craving something tasty and new, try the rabbit sauce piquant or the Louisiana crawfish etouffee.

By far, the most identifying quality of Christabelle’s Quarter is its atmosphere. With ornate stained glass windows, golden cherubs, dark wood, antique chandeliers and black iron-wrought rails lining the stairs and upper floors, the restaurant has a decidedly French boudoir flair to it. The designer, Carlos Perez de Costa, employs a heavy French Industrial era style-think Moulin Rouge meets Louisiana. It’s certainly not your stereotypical Miami-style, Art Deco neon pink.

For the fantastically ornate atmosphere alone makes Christabelle’s Quarter a must try. The food is good by all means, but in no way outstanding. Regardless, it’s worth a visit because it brings a unique, distinctive cuisine to the Gables…plus it’s a seafood lover’s heaven.

Carla Tabag may be contacted at c.tabag@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...