Let’s rush the field

Rushing the field is a tradition unlike any other. Fans of all different shapes and sizes hurdle the sideline to celebrate an upset or a joyous occasion with the players and coaches. The final University of Miami football game will be played on Nov. 10 against Virginia. And what are fans going to do after the game? Push and shove each other while trying to get a seat on the buses transporting fans to Culmer Station for the Metro Rail. If fans are already going to be pushing and shoving, why not do it where everyone can be together and culminate over 70 years of history?

The Orange Bowl broke ground in 1936 and the Hurricanes played their first game Dec.10, 1937. It was the home of the Miami Dolphins at the time when they went on to achieve NFL immortality by finishing undefeated at 17-0. It is one of two stadiums to host five Super Bowls. And, of course, it is most renowned for all of its Hurricane history. This was the same field that produced five national championships.

Let the students rush the field and be a part of one last moment in Orange Bowl history. Let us dance and prance on the same field that the likes of Bernie Kosar, Michael Irvin, Jim Kelly, Ray Lewis, Jonathan Vilma, Clinton Portis and many more played on. Let the fans thank the city of Miami for all of the great memories. For once, the fans will forget the fact that the stadium charges $8 for chicken fingers and $5 for water. Let us rejoice in the happiness that an era is over and another one at Dolphin Stadium is just beginning.

When students rush the field, they do not do so with ill intent. They are not trying to hurt or attack the players or refs. They are merely looking to celebrate. Hurricane fans bleed orange and green. They sit outside in the beaming sun, showing school spirit, while dehydrating and passionately cheering after every play. Let the fans have their say and rush the field like there is no tomorrow…literally.

Justin Antweil is a freshman majoring in print journalism and economics. He may be contacted at j.antweil@umiami.edu.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...