CRIME ALERT: Guards assaulted on Wellness ramp

POSTED NOV. 1 AT 6:28 P.M.

Armed guards for a transport vehicle company were assaulted Tuesday morning on the Wellness Center walkway ramp, a university-wide crime alert reported Thursday afternoon.

The message detailed the following:

Loomis Fargo guards reported hearing a pop sound, and one guard said he felt something hit his arm, followed by “a stinging pain.”

The guards identified the suspect’s car as a black or dark gray Nissan Altima or Maxima with dark tints, but did no get the suspect’s license tag.

Based on the e-mail, it is unknown whether there was a shot fired from the suspect.

The Coral Gables and the University of Miami Police departments have not yet responded with details.

The message also said:
“Anyone with information regarding this crime or information that may lead to the apprehension of this individual, is asked to call UM Police at 305-284-6666 (8-6666 from a campus phone), or call Crimestoppers at 305-471-TIPS (8477) where you will remain anonymous and become eligible for a cash reward.”

UPDATE NOV. 2 AT 12:22 PM

Sgt. Javier Bruzos of the Coral Gables Police Department said he “couldn’t say with certainty” whether the guard’s “stinging pain” was caused by a gunshot.
Bruzos did say that the guard had a small welt on his arm, but he had no additional information.

“All we have is just the preliminary report,” Bruzos said. “Now [the case]is being assigned to a detective.”

Visit www.TheMiamiHurricane.com for updates.

Romello Height already had a top five publicly revealed when the Miami Hurricanes finally stepped in ...

Mark Pope knows his freshman year with the Miami Hurricanes didn’t play out the way it was supposed ...

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...