Canes lose to Wolpack in OT

POSTED NOV. 3 AT 7:40 P.M.

For a minute, it looked like the ‘Canes were setting themselves up for another last minute comeback, but the late game heroics quarterback Kirby Freeman showed against Florida State were nowhere to be found.

In their Homecoming game, the Miami Hurricanes (5-4, 2-3 ACC) suffered a frustrating 19-16 loss to the North Carolina State Wolfpack (4-5, 2-3 ACC).

The loss can be attributed to a number of things, but the most glaring had to be the play of quarterback Kirby Freeman. Freeman had more interceptions than completions in the game, as he went one-for-fourteen with one touchdown and three interceptions. His lone completed pass was an 84-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Darnell Jenkins.

The defense was unable to hold the Wolfpack, in the fourth quarter, which proved to be problematic for the Hurricanes. Although the defense was able to stop NC State from getting into the end zone, three fourth quarter field goals allowed the Wolfpack to clench the win.

In overtime, the Hurricanes were done in by a missed 27-yard field goal by kicker Daren Daley. This allowed the Wolfpack to set up kicker Steven Hauschka for the game winning 42-yard field goal.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...