Britney tries one more time for a hit

After hearing the same horrible stories about Britney Spears’ personal life day after day in the tabloids, it is about time for a new sound from the pop star.

Throaty vocals, personalized lyrics and techno beats mark Spears’ new sound on her album Blackout, released Tuesday. Spears’ first album of original material since In The Zone represents a departure from her previous songs and current pop trends. Just as her first album .Baby One More Time refreshed hit-hungry pop fans in 1999, Spears does it again with her much-anticipated fifth studio album.

Although Spears has married twice and had two sons in the past three years, she still imparts the same sexy, available message that made her famous.

With Blackout, Spears targets an older audience than her previous albums. This is evident through the dance club quality of the songs, the pre-album tour in 21-and-up nightclubs and her mature music video for the album’s single “Gimme More.” (An explicit version of is available online in case you need something else to talk about). However, the album’s songs “Toy Soldier” and “Hot As Ice” do not fit, sounding like they are sung by and marketed toward pre-teens.

While the album is sure to fall victim to scrutiny for being over-produced, die-hard fans will not care. If her questionably sober MTV Video Music Awards performance in September could not stop “Gimme More” from reaching number one on the iTunes Chart and Billboard’s Hot Digital Songs, nothing can stop Spears now.

Kimberly Rubenstein may be contacted at k.rubenstein@umiami.edu.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

As has been the case all season, the Miami women's tennis team is top-20 in the Oracle/ITA nati ...