Britney tries one more time for a hit

After hearing the same horrible stories about Britney Spears’ personal life day after day in the tabloids, it is about time for a new sound from the pop star.

Throaty vocals, personalized lyrics and techno beats mark Spears’ new sound on her album Blackout, released Tuesday. Spears’ first album of original material since In The Zone represents a departure from her previous songs and current pop trends. Just as her first album .Baby One More Time refreshed hit-hungry pop fans in 1999, Spears does it again with her much-anticipated fifth studio album.

Although Spears has married twice and had two sons in the past three years, she still imparts the same sexy, available message that made her famous.

With Blackout, Spears targets an older audience than her previous albums. This is evident through the dance club quality of the songs, the pre-album tour in 21-and-up nightclubs and her mature music video for the album’s single “Gimme More.” (An explicit version of is available online in case you need something else to talk about). However, the album’s songs “Toy Soldier” and “Hot As Ice” do not fit, sounding like they are sung by and marketed toward pre-teens.

While the album is sure to fall victim to scrutiny for being over-produced, die-hard fans will not care. If her questionably sober MTV Video Music Awards performance in September could not stop “Gimme More” from reaching number one on the iTunes Chart and Billboard’s Hot Digital Songs, nothing can stop Spears now.

Kimberly Rubenstein may be contacted at k.rubenstein@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...