A birthday celebration in foggy London town

Spending my birthday across an ocean, in a city where I have no family and no friends, was something I wasn’t looking forward to. I expected to be sad and homesick, missing all my loved ones on that special day. But I realize now that planning to be in London for my 22nd birthday was actually an excellent choice.

The girls I’ve met while here have become like family. Being away from home in such a different place has been an intense experience that has only made the bonds we’ve made stronger and more durable. I remember feeling the fear in the weeks before leaving that I would be alone and lonely because I wouldn’t find many people with whom to be friends. Little did I know then that I would find some of the most interesting, real and caring people in this far away place.

These three girls and I have become each other’s source of comfort and fun. We are planning trips to Florence, Barcelona and Paris together. We reach to each other when we’ve got nothing to do and when we’ve got loads of plans. We experience similar growing pains, like not knowing how to cook or exactly what to do with newly-stained laundry from the washing machines.

So on my birthday, these girls were there and made sure that it was unforgettable. The celebrations began two days beforehand with a big dinner at a local chain restaurant called Pizza Express in Covent Garden. Almost 20 people made it and we ate and drank and laughed and talked. All of a sudden, my birthday wasn’t merely a celebration of the day I was born, but a celebration of all the great things you can do in London…explore, drink, dance and learn.

On the actual day, I got to go back to my childhood and experience one of the most amazing performances I have ever seen on stage, making a dream come to life before my eyes with supercalifragilisticexpialidocious magic and extraordinary sights. Watching ‘Mary Poppins

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...