UM is not your mom

When Patricia A. Whitely, vice president of Student Affairs, finalized the no-go decision on the Halloween Ibis Ride, many Student Government members and students were unhappy, and for good reason. After all, the Halloween Ibis Ride was, above all else, convenient-especially for drunk students who needed a mode of transportation to and from Coconut Grove.

Still, just as it is not the university’s responsibility to prevent us from driving drunk any other night of the year, neither is it their responsibility on Halloween. Whitely pointed out that there is a fine line between preparing for safe, drunken debauchery and outright enablement.

If the university did provide buses to the Grove, and the students that used the service still got hurt in some way via underage drinking arrests, the finger of liability would be pointed directly at the university; hardly a win-win situation.

Furthermore, the Grove is an entity unto itself, particularly on Halloween. We don’t have shuttles to other hot Halloween party spots like South Beach and Fantasy Fest, so why should the Grove be an exception? For the past three years, it was just an added bonus that UM paid (in more ways than one) for our transportation to and from this drunken costume party. But that doesn’t mean it should be expected.

Based on last year’s incident, the inherent negatives definitely outweigh the positives. Any student who was there at Stanford Circle should (if they can remember it) be able to testify to that.

And for those who claim that by canceling the shuttle, the university is forcing them to drive back to school intoxicated? Try dressing up as “responsible” this Halloween and do what any grown person does nearly every other night of the week: Call a cab, designate a driver or hitch a ride on a witch’s broomstick.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...