Long-lost book UM’s three millionth

For almost 70 years Dialogues et Chants Royaux has been out of sight, and its whereabouts during these years remain a mystery.

But at Storer Auditorium, the 16th-century French manuscript was welcomed to the University of Miami on Thursday as the three millionth book to be added to the library.

More than 120 people listened as President Donna E. Shalala, Provost Thomas LeBlanc and University Librarian William Walker explained the vital role that university libraries must play as UM continues to ascend the university ranks.

“The most important buildings on our campuses are our libraries,” said Shalala. She explained that libraries can be an effective recruiting tool, which is one reason UM will continue “upgrading and expanding our collection.”

The hand-crafted book contains a collection of religious poems written in honor of the Virgin Mary, explained Perri Lee Roberts, a professor of art history and senior associate dean of the College of Arts and Sciences.

The book is vibrantly colored and ornately decorated with four full-page paintings depicting Jesus and the Virgin Mary. The last known owner of the French piece was William Randolph Hearst, a millionaire newspaper tycoon, who sold it in 1940.

Eric White, curator of special collections at the Bridwell Library at SMU, described the manuscript as “a beautiful book of lasting significance.”

White said he is “pleased [the book]is now in this institution to be seen and studied.”

The book was purchased three months ago, but university officials were unwilling to say at what price.

The exact location of the book was not disclosed. Walker explained only that the book will be kept in a special collections unit where temperature and humidity are constantly monitored and access will be limited.

Pat Cunnane may be contacted at p.cunnane@umiami.edu.

HOW MANY?

UM has six libraries including the Otto G. Richter Library, the Marta and Austin Weeks Music Library, a marine and atmospheric science library, a medical library, a business library and an architecture library.

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...