Long-lost book UM’s three millionth

For almost 70 years Dialogues et Chants Royaux has been out of sight, and its whereabouts during these years remain a mystery.

But at Storer Auditorium, the 16th-century French manuscript was welcomed to the University of Miami on Thursday as the three millionth book to be added to the library.

More than 120 people listened as President Donna E. Shalala, Provost Thomas LeBlanc and University Librarian William Walker explained the vital role that university libraries must play as UM continues to ascend the university ranks.

“The most important buildings on our campuses are our libraries,” said Shalala. She explained that libraries can be an effective recruiting tool, which is one reason UM will continue “upgrading and expanding our collection.”

The hand-crafted book contains a collection of religious poems written in honor of the Virgin Mary, explained Perri Lee Roberts, a professor of art history and senior associate dean of the College of Arts and Sciences.

The book is vibrantly colored and ornately decorated with four full-page paintings depicting Jesus and the Virgin Mary. The last known owner of the French piece was William Randolph Hearst, a millionaire newspaper tycoon, who sold it in 1940.

Eric White, curator of special collections at the Bridwell Library at SMU, described the manuscript as “a beautiful book of lasting significance.”

White said he is “pleased [the book]is now in this institution to be seen and studied.”

The book was purchased three months ago, but university officials were unwilling to say at what price.

The exact location of the book was not disclosed. Walker explained only that the book will be kept in a special collections unit where temperature and humidity are constantly monitored and access will be limited.

Pat Cunnane may be contacted at p.cunnane@umiami.edu.

HOW MANY?

UM has six libraries including the Otto G. Richter Library, the Marta and Austin Weeks Music Library, a marine and atmospheric science library, a medical library, a business library and an architecture library.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...