Culture

Jigsaw is back with ‘Saw IV’

He’s back.again. “Saw IV” starts out with Jigsaw (Tobin Bell), the mastermind behind the Saw conspiracy, undergoing a graphic autopsy. As the pathologist peels back the layers of his body, scars from the last movies resurface.

Diehard fans of the Saw series might be upset about how much the latest installment stands apart from the original film. The infamous “games” are more elaborate, high-tech and tragic and Jigsaw’s initial intent for his games-for his subjects to emerge with a newfound appreciation for life-is completely disregarded.

The film’s major flaw is its confusing storyline. Frequent flashbacks and occasional foreshadowing make the plot difficult to follow. It appears that “Saw IV” was rushed in order to reach its deadline this Halloween.

Also, with the central role that the police play, it is unbelievable that a SWAT commander (Lyriq Bent) and FBI agent (Scott Patterson) would run around dark, abandoned warehouses chasing a serial killer without backup. The impracticality of the very illegal police interrogation of Jigsaw’s ex-wife, Jill (Betsy Russell), further detaches the viewer from the situation-making the movie less scary.

One positive aspect of the movie is Jigsaw’s excellent character development. The flashback sequences explain his transformation from a decent human being into a monster. However, his cancer is no excuse for what he does, as detective Eric Matthews (Donnie Wahlberg) noted in “Saw II.”

Moviegoers fond of the sick psychopath need not worry, there’s plenty of Jigsaw in “Saw IV.” If you think it’s over just because he’s dead, “It’s not over. The games have just begun.”

For an interview with “Saw IV” star Lyriq Bent, please visit themiamihurricane.com.

Kimberly Rubenstein may be contacted at k.rubenstein@umiami.edu.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...