Jigsaw is back with ‘Saw IV’

He’s back.again. “Saw IV” starts out with Jigsaw (Tobin Bell), the mastermind behind the Saw conspiracy, undergoing a graphic autopsy. As the pathologist peels back the layers of his body, scars from the last movies resurface.

Diehard fans of the Saw series might be upset about how much the latest installment stands apart from the original film. The infamous “games” are more elaborate, high-tech and tragic and Jigsaw’s initial intent for his games-for his subjects to emerge with a newfound appreciation for life-is completely disregarded.

The film’s major flaw is its confusing storyline. Frequent flashbacks and occasional foreshadowing make the plot difficult to follow. It appears that “Saw IV” was rushed in order to reach its deadline this Halloween.

Also, with the central role that the police play, it is unbelievable that a SWAT commander (Lyriq Bent) and FBI agent (Scott Patterson) would run around dark, abandoned warehouses chasing a serial killer without backup. The impracticality of the very illegal police interrogation of Jigsaw’s ex-wife, Jill (Betsy Russell), further detaches the viewer from the situation-making the movie less scary.

One positive aspect of the movie is Jigsaw’s excellent character development. The flashback sequences explain his transformation from a decent human being into a monster. However, his cancer is no excuse for what he does, as detective Eric Matthews (Donnie Wahlberg) noted in “Saw II.”

Moviegoers fond of the sick psychopath need not worry, there’s plenty of Jigsaw in “Saw IV.” If you think it’s over just because he’s dead, “It’s not over. The games have just begun.”

For an interview with “Saw IV” star Lyriq Bent, please visit themiamihurricane.com.

Kimberly Rubenstein may be contacted at k.rubenstein@umiami.edu.

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

Bennie Blades will serve as host of the UMSHoF's Eighth Annual Celebrity Bowling Tournament, on ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...