Culture

Interview with “Saw IV’s” Lyriq Bent

KR: What do you think has been the worst Saw “game?”
LB: They’ve all been pretty elaborate and queasy. I would say that the needles scene would be the worst because when I imagine that situation and needles piercing the skin and you hear some bones here and there. Saw really plays on a lot of phobias. So a lot of the time you’re grossed out because you understand what that situation is and how it feels. And to play up on that, that’s why it really freaks us out, because we relate to it.

KR: From the movie trailer, it appears your character Rigg is abducted in “Saw IV.” What was that like? Did it hurt?
LB: It wasn’t any harder than it was for any other abductions, but it was difficult because my general role was different. It was more of an emotional bit as opposed to anything else. He was on his own, going through a situation and he didn’t have the police force backing him up. You [as the audience] get to go through the emotional ride that he goes through and I only hope that the audience really picks up on that.

KR: Your role sounds really different from the last two Saws. Was there more pressure taking on the lead role in such a successful series?
LB: I didn’t put that type of pressure on myself. I’m always, always on top of my game to make sure that I always produce the very best that I can. I don’t wait until I’m at a monumental role or situation to do that, no matter how big or small.

KR: Was it scary on the set?
LB: It was quite the opposite of what you’re probably thinking. It was a lot of fun, a lot of laughs and a lot of jokes; it was like a slumber party. Really, it was like a bunch of really good friends meeting in the dorm and hanging out and telling stories all night.it was a lot of fun. And the only time there was any type of real serious tension is when the director said, “Action!” and you’re involved in your scene.

KR: You worked with Mark Wahlberg in the John Singleton film “Four Brothers” and you worked with his brother Donnie Wahlberg in “Saws II, III, and IV.” Who’s a better actor?
LB: I like both of them. I think they’re both cool guys, especially to work with. They’re talented and they know how to use their talent to get the best out of the business. With that said, Mark, he’s a rugged type of guy and he likes to be physical and he likes to get in there and shake it up. And Donnie, he’s a sensitive guy. He knows how to tap into that sensitive part of the character in the game and he completely embraces that and lets that show on the screen. So it’s really a question of what type of films you like to really tell who’s a better actor from who isn’t. But I don’t think it’s a better actor thing, I think it’s a preference thing.

KR: How did you mentally prepare for the lead role in “Saw IV?”
LB: I’ve been in two other Saw films and it was pretty natural for me to play Rigg because I already created that reality for the character three years ago. And coming into it now, it was a continuation of it. I didn’t have to do anything different or anything elaborate to play the character. I put life into the character by giving him a back story, giving him a purpose, and giving him a reason to be where he is throughout the movie.

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...