Tickets required for students at final OB game

POSTED OCT. 20 AT 10:48 A.M.

Students planning to attend the final University of Miami football game at the Orange Bowl must pick up tickets beforehand, in addition to showing their Cane Card at the game, student leaders learned Thursday.

Patricia A. Whitely, vice president for Student Affairs, announced that 7,300 student passes would be available and that tickets may be picked up at the University Center during the following times:

-Oct. 28 to Nov. 2, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
-Nov. 6. to Nov. 9, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.

An official announcement is expected next week.

“We’re trying to be sure of who’s coming to prepare for seating,” Whitely said, noting that ticketing and seating will be on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Both the lower and upper decks of the student section will be available for the Nov 10 game against the University of Virginia Cavaliers. Though 1,000 student tickets will be allotted for the upper deck part of the student section, Whitely said season ticket holders for that area will not be affected.

She also said no guest passes will be offered for the game, explaining that doing so would reduce by 300 the number of student who could attend.

RUSHING GAME
Whitely also addressed the issue of students rushing the field after the game, which she called a “really, really poor idea.”

“I don’t want people to think it can [happen], because it can’t,” she said, adding there will be “very serious implications” for students who rush the field.

She said the university will soon begin a marketing campaign warning students not to rush the field and noted Miami-Dade police will surround the field before game’s end. Police also surrounded the field near the end of this year’s game against Florida International University because of last year’s brawl.

Students began discussing rushing the field after the Aug. 21 decision that home football games will be played at Dolphin Stadium next season. A Facebook group currently counts 1,400-plus members in support of rushing the field at the Virginia game.

Athletic Director Paul Dee also addressed the topic Thursday evening on WQAM 560’s Hurricane Hotline radio show.

“We’re not in a position where people rush the field or take their seats or do vandalism,” Dee said, noting that FIU will play two more home games in the 70-year-old stadium after the UM’s game against UVA.

TRANSPORTATION CONSIDERATIONS
Looking to next season, Whitely also announced Thursday that she has appointed a committee to look at options for transporting students to Dolphin Stadium next season.

Greg Linch may be contacted at gregl@miami.edu.

To commemorate the Hurricanes’ final game in the Orange Bowl, The Miami Hurricane will publish a special issue after the game against UVA.

Please look for this issue in stands and online on Monday, Nov. 12.

Send any personal stories or memories regarding the Orange Bowl to news@themiamihurricane.com.

Submissions must include your name and year in school for students; name, graduation year and current geographic location (city and state) for alumni; and name and geographic location for other fans.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...