Tickets required for students at final OB game

POSTED OCT. 20 AT 10:48 A.M.

Students planning to attend the final University of Miami football game at the Orange Bowl must pick up tickets beforehand, in addition to showing their Cane Card at the game, student leaders learned Thursday.

Patricia A. Whitely, vice president for Student Affairs, announced that 7,300 student passes would be available and that tickets may be picked up at the University Center during the following times:

-Oct. 28 to Nov. 2, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
-Nov. 6. to Nov. 9, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.

An official announcement is expected next week.

“We’re trying to be sure of who’s coming to prepare for seating,” Whitely said, noting that ticketing and seating will be on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Both the lower and upper decks of the student section will be available for the Nov 10 game against the University of Virginia Cavaliers. Though 1,000 student tickets will be allotted for the upper deck part of the student section, Whitely said season ticket holders for that area will not be affected.

She also said no guest passes will be offered for the game, explaining that doing so would reduce by 300 the number of student who could attend.

RUSHING GAME
Whitely also addressed the issue of students rushing the field after the game, which she called a “really, really poor idea.”

“I don’t want people to think it can [happen], because it can’t,” she said, adding there will be “very serious implications” for students who rush the field.

She said the university will soon begin a marketing campaign warning students not to rush the field and noted Miami-Dade police will surround the field before game’s end. Police also surrounded the field near the end of this year’s game against Florida International University because of last year’s brawl.

Students began discussing rushing the field after the Aug. 21 decision that home football games will be played at Dolphin Stadium next season. A Facebook group currently counts 1,400-plus members in support of rushing the field at the Virginia game.

Athletic Director Paul Dee also addressed the topic Thursday evening on WQAM 560’s Hurricane Hotline radio show.

“We’re not in a position where people rush the field or take their seats or do vandalism,” Dee said, noting that FIU will play two more home games in the 70-year-old stadium after the UM’s game against UVA.

TRANSPORTATION CONSIDERATIONS
Looking to next season, Whitely also announced Thursday that she has appointed a committee to look at options for transporting students to Dolphin Stadium next season.

Greg Linch may be contacted at gregl@miami.edu.

To commemorate the Hurricanes’ final game in the Orange Bowl, The Miami Hurricane will publish a special issue after the game against UVA.

Please look for this issue in stands and online on Monday, Nov. 12.

Send any personal stories or memories regarding the Orange Bowl to news@themiamihurricane.com.

Submissions must include your name and year in school for students; name, graduation year and current geographic location (city and state) for alumni; and name and geographic location for other fans.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...