Student Government accountability should be first priority

At [last week’s State of the U]I asked President Carvajal, “What do you see as the role of Student Government, and how do you see its role changing on campus over time?” While not appearing hard-hitting, this question strikes with precision the most momentous issue facing the student body in the coming year. Dramatic changes will reshape the nature of Student Government, and we are not positioned to handle them.

Next academic year, the increase in the SG budget will come into effect. I had voted no on the referendum and strongly advised against it. $10,000 for executive projects will double the SG budget, and, as of now, there is no oversight! The Treasurer may spend the money with no input from the Senate or the Supreme Court until after the money is spent. Last year I spoke with President Carvajal and he agreed that the new executive money needs checks and balances from other branches. I presented an oversight bill in the Senate this year and the Senate voted it down. This new money, along with proposed changes to SAFAC being entertained, could very well change the nature of SG from one of positive action and advocacy for the student body to one where we spend all our time fighting between constituencies about who gets what money. That is what occurs at other schools, like UF, and it gives rise to political parties and self-adulation that makes our government quite humble by comparison.

Accountability in SG is my greatest concern as senator. After years of trying to reform the government for greater transparency, fairness and self control, I see it burgeoning more than ever. Students should be concerned about their government, and they should also be concerned that they have a newspaper that does not infer character hastily for the sake of a story.

– Dan Ohrenstein, senior and
Apartment Area senator

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...