New York Cielo’s latest release promises ‘deep and soulful vibes’

The award-winning New York club Cielo adds another album to their successful collection with their fourth compilation “Volare: Various Artists.” The two-disc album is mixed and compiled by club owner Nicolas Matar and resident DJ Willie Graff, who promises on the album art to “guide your night with a stellar mix of deep and soulful house vibes.”

Usually club-endorsed albums are meant to promote music at its best, which is why I was left dissatisfied. The duo’s attempt to produce a “stellar mix” falls short particularly on the first disc, named Departure because of the recurring Latin-style baselines.

The disc tries to promise individuality in each song, yet gradually, track after track, the music merges into a blur of the generic female singer among the fast-paced rhythms. Luckily, the second disc, Arrival, shows the talent these DJs have. It celebrates the diversity the club Cielo invites by using tracks like the outstanding Samim remix of Pier Bucci’s “Hay Consuelo.” The echoing, dark, emotive voice is cleverly united with unpredictable pulses that place you into the club’s unique setting. “Bring on the Night,” the Rocco Trodeep remix is also commanded by the intense vocals and emphasizes the distinctive style of the duo. However, they have clearly tried too hard to recreate the sequence of tracks of a Cielo club night, which comes off as excessive. The tracks are drawn out, making this album hard to listen to, and the poignant songs are overshadowed as a result. The record is diminished as a compilation with wasteful filler songs. The listener is challenged too often to search for its triumphs.

Gemma Dempster may be contacted at g.dempster@umiami.edu.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...