Law professor charged with soliciting prostitution

A University of Miami Law School professor was charged on Aug. 22 with one count of misdemeanor for soliciting a prostitute.

Donald Marvin Jones, who has worked at the law school since 1988, approached a female, undercover police officer who was posing as a prostitute, according to the city of Miami Police Department incident report.

The report says Jones offered the officer $20 for sex, and was subsequently stopped and arrested after the police officer gave the “take down signal.”

The arrest occurred on Aug. 22 at the Little River neighborhood at the intersection of N.W. 1st Court and N.W. 79th Street, at 10:05 p.m.

Jones, who has been on sabbatical since the beginning of the academic semester, did not respond to telephone and e-mail requests from The Miami Hurricane for comment. Jones entered a written plea of not guilty and asked for a trial, according to the Miami-Dade Clerk of Courts Web site.

“The professor has made us aware of the charges against him,” said Dennis O. Lynch, dean of the School of Law. “He is a respected member of our law school community, and the validity of the charges will be determined through the appropriate judicial proceedings. I mean, he’s only been charged.”

Karla Hernandez, associate director of Media Relations, said UM is a private institution and cannot comment on personal matters.

Jeffrey Weiner, a UM alumnus and Iron Arrow member, is the lawyer defending Jones. His office said that Weiner does not comment on client cases.

At the time of publication, there was no date set for a future hearing, but a motion for continuance was filed at the Oct. 15 hearing.

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

To read the arrest report, visit TheMiamiHurricane.com.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

As has been the case all season, the Miami women's tennis team is top-20 in the Oracle/ITA nati ...