Law professor charged with soliciting prostitution

A University of Miami Law School professor was charged on Aug. 22 with one count of misdemeanor for soliciting a prostitute.

Donald Marvin Jones, who has worked at the law school since 1988, approached a female, undercover police officer who was posing as a prostitute, according to the city of Miami Police Department incident report.

The report says Jones offered the officer $20 for sex, and was subsequently stopped and arrested after the police officer gave the “take down signal.”

The arrest occurred on Aug. 22 at the Little River neighborhood at the intersection of N.W. 1st Court and N.W. 79th Street, at 10:05 p.m.

Jones, who has been on sabbatical since the beginning of the academic semester, did not respond to telephone and e-mail requests from The Miami Hurricane for comment. Jones entered a written plea of not guilty and asked for a trial, according to the Miami-Dade Clerk of Courts Web site.

“The professor has made us aware of the charges against him,” said Dennis O. Lynch, dean of the School of Law. “He is a respected member of our law school community, and the validity of the charges will be determined through the appropriate judicial proceedings. I mean, he’s only been charged.”

Karla Hernandez, associate director of Media Relations, said UM is a private institution and cannot comment on personal matters.

Jeffrey Weiner, a UM alumnus and Iron Arrow member, is the lawyer defending Jones. His office said that Weiner does not comment on client cases.

At the time of publication, there was no date set for a future hearing, but a motion for continuance was filed at the Oct. 15 hearing.

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

To read the arrest report, visit TheMiamiHurricane.com.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...