Law professor charged with soliciting prostitution

A University of Miami Law School professor was charged on Aug. 22 with one count of misdemeanor for soliciting a prostitute.

Donald Marvin Jones, who has worked at the law school since 1988, approached a female, undercover police officer who was posing as a prostitute, according to the city of Miami Police Department incident report.

The report says Jones offered the officer $20 for sex, and was subsequently stopped and arrested after the police officer gave the “take down signal.”

The arrest occurred on Aug. 22 at the Little River neighborhood at the intersection of N.W. 1st Court and N.W. 79th Street, at 10:05 p.m.

Jones, who has been on sabbatical since the beginning of the academic semester, did not respond to telephone and e-mail requests from The Miami Hurricane for comment. Jones entered a written plea of not guilty and asked for a trial, according to the Miami-Dade Clerk of Courts Web site.

“The professor has made us aware of the charges against him,” said Dennis O. Lynch, dean of the School of Law. “He is a respected member of our law school community, and the validity of the charges will be determined through the appropriate judicial proceedings. I mean, he’s only been charged.”

Karla Hernandez, associate director of Media Relations, said UM is a private institution and cannot comment on personal matters.

Jeffrey Weiner, a UM alumnus and Iron Arrow member, is the lawyer defending Jones. His office said that Weiner does not comment on client cases.

At the time of publication, there was no date set for a future hearing, but a motion for continuance was filed at the Oct. 15 hearing.

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

To read the arrest report, visit TheMiamiHurricane.com.

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is on the verge of losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...