Squad splits two ACC matches

The University of Miami women’s volleyball team traveled to North Carolina this weekend and split a pair of conference matches defeating North Carolina State Friday night 3-1 then falling to the University of North Carolina Saturday night 3-0. Miami is now 9-11 on the season and 3-8 in ACC play.

Both the Canes and NC State came into Friday night’s game struggling to win. The Canes had lost six in a row and the Wolfpack had been in a prolonged drought, dropping 15 straight matches.

“It is great to get back on the winning track,” Head Coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said. “We got a lot more production from the middle tonight and Ciara Michel was at the center of that effort. She had a big match offensively in addition to chipping in with some blocks as well.”

Michel led the team with 16 kills, while freshman standout Katie Gallagher finished with 52 assists, seven kills and seven digs. Freshman Maria Andersson recorded her third double-double of the season finishing with 16 digs and 11 kills.

After losing game one 30-17, the lady Canes regrouped and won the next three games 30-28, 30-26 and 30-25 respectively. It was the Hurricanes’ first win since Sept. 21 at Virginia.

“We made some nice changes in game one that ultimately led to the change of flow in the match,” Lantagne Welch said.
Miami exceeded NC State with 11 digs, 21 kills and 22 assists.

Unfortunately, they could not carry their momentum into Saturday night’s match against the UNC Tar Heels.

Gallagher once again had an impressive night in the assists column ending the match with 38. She also had 10 kills. Sophomore Genny Mayhew, Michel and junior Bridget Bomhack were valiant in the effort and finished in double-figure kills with 12, 11 and 11, respectively.

“I thought we played much better volleyball tonight but unfortunately it wasn’t enough,” Lantagne Welch said. “Our passing crew of Cassie [Loessberg], Bridget [Bomhack], Genny [Mayhew], Maria [Andersson], and Michelle [Bruin] was outstanding.”

The Canes lost a tough first game, 30-24, that set the tone for the Tar Heels’ sweep. The score was tied at 22 when North Carolina pulled away and went on an 8-0 run putting the game away by a count of 30-22. The third game was just as intense. With the scored tied at 25, UM attempted to stop UNC by tying the game at 30 all. The Tar Heels went on to win the next two points to complete the sweep 32-30.

“We need to develop a killer instinct,” Lantagne Welch said. “When we get a lead, we need to learn to finish things off.”

Justin Antweil may be contacted at j.antweil@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...