Sports Briefs

Football
Campbell tackles his way into final dozen

Junior defensive end Calais Campbell advanced to become one of twelve semi-finalists for the Lombardi Award. The award is given to the nation’s top lineman or linebacker in college football. Campbell is also on the midseason watch list for the new Hendricks Award, given to the nation’s top defensive end.

Campbell’s name popping up in such defensive award categories comes as no surprise, as he is coming off a strong sophomore season. Through the first seven games in 2007, Campbell has 6.5 tackles for a loss, 4.0 sacks, one interception, two fumbles forced, two fumbles recovered and is ranked third in team tackles with 56. He also has a pass reception on a fake field goal, and he leads the team with 13 quarterback pressures.

Women’s Golf
Miami finishes fifth at fall classic

The University of Miami Hurricanes finished fifth at the UNCG-Starmount Fall Classic.

The Hurricanes were led by senior Jessica Steward, who finished the event tied for third. Freshmen Christina Hirano and Maria Ronderos finished tied for 21st and tied for 24th, respectively. Senior Hagen Weintraub finished the event tied for 49th.

Track and Field
Team puts their stamp on the assistant position

Hassan Stamps has been named as the assistant coach for the University of Miami track and field programs. Stamps comes to Miami with quite an impressive resume, as both a former athlete and a coach.

As a track and field athlete, Stamps was a five-time All-American, a four-time All-SEC selection, a 2003 Academic All-SEC selection and the 2003 All-SEC Scholar Athlete. Stamps also helped lead his Tennessee team to the 2001 NCAA Outdoor and the 2002 NCAA Indoor National Championships.

After his athletic career at the University of Tennessee, Stamps began his coaching career at the very same university in 2002. From 2003 to 2005, Stamps took over as assistant coach for California State at Los Angeles. During his short stint there, he helped 14 athletes earn All-American honors, and he helped April Brown earn the 2005 60-meter Indoor National Championship.

Stamps then spent last year at the University of Vermont, where he helped them earn 22 All-New England and American East All-Conference honors and 17 school records.

Swimming and Diving
Canes fall at Florida State

After starting the season with three straight wins, the University of Miami swimming and diving team suffered its first loss of the season at the hands of the Florida State Seminoles.

Despite the team loss, the Hurricanes did have several good individual performances. Junior Britta Boesing finished first in the 400-yard individual medley and second in the 100-yard backstroke.

Freshman Ryann Labreche finished second in the 500-yard freestyle and the 1,000-yard freestyle. Sophomore Kelly Pelguin finished third in the 100-yard backstroke and the 200-yard backstroke. The team of Annika Saarnak, Kirsten Pomerleau, Elizabeth Torres and Emerson Davis finished second in the 400-yard freestyle relay.

Diver Brittany Viola finished first in the women’s three-meter and second in the women’s one-meter.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.