STATE OF _NION (Because U weren’t there)

If the turn out at Wednesday’s Student Government town hall meeting is any indication of the “state of the U,” then we’re in trouble. Fewer than five students not affiliated with Student Government were in attendance, though the audience was chock-full of current and past SG members and leaders.

Student Government President Danny Carvajal gave a 15-minute address during which he chose to look ahead to new and improved initiatives rather than, as he said, dwell on unsuccessful ventures of the past. He spoke about the transition from the Orange Bowl to Dolphin Stadium and the proposed student bridge over U.S. 1, as well as other proposals and campaign promises.

At the end of his speech, the forum was opened up for questions from the audience members. After an awkward pause, one student in the audience stood up and asked what Carvajal considered the role of SG to be. Turns out that this student was Apartment Area Senator Daniel Ohrenstein, and let’s just say that his question was a little short of hard-hitting.

If the president of the United States were to conduct a similar event and the only questions he had to field were from members of his own administration, what kind of accountability exists? None.

To Student Government’s credit, they did advertise this event with e-mails and campus-wide promotion. It was open to the university, and as a result the responsibility also lies with the students to participate and attend such events. SG did its job in proving the forum. But unless students do their part, such political formalities mean nothing.

If students show no interest in SG, then for whom is SG acting? How is SG supposed to have any legitimate power if it is not supported by the students that it is designed to represent?

It takes two for the State of this U.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...