STATE OF _NION (Because U weren’t there)

If the turn out at Wednesday’s Student Government town hall meeting is any indication of the “state of the U,” then we’re in trouble. Fewer than five students not affiliated with Student Government were in attendance, though the audience was chock-full of current and past SG members and leaders.

Student Government President Danny Carvajal gave a 15-minute address during which he chose to look ahead to new and improved initiatives rather than, as he said, dwell on unsuccessful ventures of the past. He spoke about the transition from the Orange Bowl to Dolphin Stadium and the proposed student bridge over U.S. 1, as well as other proposals and campaign promises.

At the end of his speech, the forum was opened up for questions from the audience members. After an awkward pause, one student in the audience stood up and asked what Carvajal considered the role of SG to be. Turns out that this student was Apartment Area Senator Daniel Ohrenstein, and let’s just say that his question was a little short of hard-hitting.

If the president of the United States were to conduct a similar event and the only questions he had to field were from members of his own administration, what kind of accountability exists? None.

To Student Government’s credit, they did advertise this event with e-mails and campus-wide promotion. It was open to the university, and as a result the responsibility also lies with the students to participate and attend such events. SG did its job in proving the forum. But unless students do their part, such political formalities mean nothing.

If students show no interest in SG, then for whom is SG acting? How is SG supposed to have any legitimate power if it is not supported by the students that it is designed to represent?

It takes two for the State of this U.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...