Fantasy Fest may have a new queen

In the midst of midterm exams, senior Dejah Urbanovitch is more likely to be spotted at a party in Key West than the library.

That’s not to say she isn’t working hard. Urbanovitch, known on her website as “Dancing Dejah,” is the youngest candidate to ever run for Queen of Fantasy Fest.

Fantasy Fest began in 1978 as an attempt to increase tourism in Key West during October. The campaign for king and queen marks the start of the annual street party, which Oct. 19 to 28.

The race for king and queen is a fundraiser for AIDS Help, Inc., a non-profit community-based organization which provides health care, housing, food, counseling and support for HIV-infected residents of The Florida Keys. Every dollar donated during the campaign is matched five-fold by government money and grants.

The two candidates that raise the most money will be crowned king and queen at the Royal Coronation Ball on Oct. 19.

Urbanovitch’s stepmother, who lives in Key West along with her father, encouraged her to run for queen.

“I could say I’m doing this because I have friends with HIV and I’ve lost someone to AIDS but that’s not the motive,” Urbanovitch said. “It’s really just to give back to the community in general.”

Balancing class and the campaign is difficult, said Urbanovitch, a history and chemistry major.

“I don’t sleep very much,” she said. “The other day I had to pull over and sleep in my car because I couldn’t drive home. At this point, I know I gave it my all.”

Age is not the only difference between the 22-year-old “Dancing Dejah” and the other candidates. The winner is “usually a gay guy or an affluent white lady,” said Urbanovitch, who faces competition from Mary Lou Hoover, a construction consultant from St. Louis, and Mitch Jones, “Miss Southernmostgay.com.”

Despite the obstacles, Urbanovitch said the campaign has been “the experience of a lifetime.” In addition to running for queen, Urbanovitch will also host this year’s official Fantasy Fest video.

“I’ve had so much media attention and I had no idea that would happen,” Urbanovitch said. “I hope to be really humble about it, but to me it’s a trip. I got to dance with a drag queen on stage! That was one of my life goals, along with swim in a pool of Jell-O.”

Urbanovitch has hosted over 20 fundraising events, including a pool tournament, beer pong tournament and bull-riding tournament.

She is also auctioning off her hair on her website, dd4q.com. The winner of the auction can pay to cut her hair, which she will then donate to Locks of Love, or to keep her hair long.

Her final event is a “Red Party” at Mansion on Thursday, Oct. 18. Tickets are $15 and all money from pre-sale tickets goes to AIDS Help, Inc.

If Urbanovitch does not win queen, she plans to run again next year.

“My ultimate goal was to be like look, you can make a difference no matter how old you are,” Urbanovitch said “I planned this in three weeks. If I have a whole year, they won’t know what hit them.”

For tickets to the Red Party at Mansion (21+), contact Lauren (954-303-9817) or Fiona (407-435-2164) by Oct. 17.

Blair Brettschneider may be contacted at b.brettschneider@umiami.edu.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...