Fall break is useless for some, a welcome hiatus for others

While some students were unaware that fall break even existed, others find the single day off useless.

“It’s not worth it,” said Robyn Berke, a senior. “It’s horrible because no one has class on Friday.”

Fall break was started approximately seven years ago at the request of Student Government based on concerns that the wait for Thanksgiving break was too long.

Patricia A. Whitely, vice president of Student Affairs, said fall break is only one day because of scheduling concerns. She said a longer break would affect the hours needed to fulfill credits for courses.

“We wanted to give students a little break from class, but we didn’t want them to miss too much,” Whitely said. “The fact is we do have a break and Student Government wants us to look at it and either change it or extend it for fall 2008, but I don’t see that happening.”

Though UM does give their students a hiatus from classes, in comparison to other schools it’s hardly a break at all.

Rhodes College in Memphis gives their students a Friday to Tuesday fall recess. University of Michigan students get a Monday and Tuesday off for what they call a “Fall Study Break” and Boston University takes off to observe both Columbus Day and Veterans Day.

Still, fall break does benefit students with classes on Fridays.

“I think the break is great for the underclassmen,” said Danny Carvajal, president of Student Government. “Obviously for upperclassmen every weekend is ‘fall break’, but for underclassmen who don’t really have a say in their scheduling, it’s a chance for them to be able to go home on Thursday evening and be able to spend two to three quality days with their family.”

However, some students feel like the two to three days are not even worth the hassle of traveling.

“I wouldn’t go home,” said Jason Weintraub, a freshman who lives in Los Angeles and was unaware that fall break existed. “I’ll probably just catch up on homework and go to a party Friday night.”

George Yudice, a Spanish professor who teaches on Fridays, appreciates the break but wonders why it isn’t longer.

“Students do need more time for a proper fall break to go home and visit their families,” Yudice said. “[The break should be] at least Thursday and Friday plus the weekend.”

Although fall break may be short and useless for students who don’t have classes on Friday, underclassmen such as freshman Lauren Singer believe “any break from class is worth it.”

Lily Stofman may be contacted at l.stofman@umiami.edu.

Number of Friday classes by school/building

School of Communication
-18 classes on Friday

School of Business Administration
-Declined to release statistics

School of Architecture
-All students

College of Arts and Sciences
-Declined to release statistics

School of Education
-Declined to release statistics
College of Engineering
-Declined to release statistics

Frost School of Music
-Approximately 80 classes

Memorial and Learning Center
-Approximately 63 percent of rooms

-Note: Most freshmen take classes in these buildings

Complied by Lily Stofman.

University offers airport shuttle service

SG and Student Affairs will offer a free fall break airport shuttle to MIA on Oct. 17 and 18 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

To make a reservation, call the Department of Parking and Transportation at 305-284-3096 (Press option 1) Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

-University Village (Scodella stop)
-Dickinson Circle
-Eaton
-Mahoney/Pearson

Complied by Karyn Meshbane.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...