Faculty housing to neighbor student dwellings

University Village residents may have unexpected neighbors this time next year.

The University Village Townhome project, originally planned to open in early 2007, is part of the University of Miami Master Campus Area Development plan.

The development is expected to include as many as 16 new units to house professors, faculty, adult staff and their families. The single-family townhouses will be located between Mataro and Corniche Avenues. They will replace the old School of Nursing building, demolition of which began late September and completed earlier this month.

The new housing, planned to open October 2008, will be designed to complement the existing University Village apartments. Construction is expected to begin as soon as the university receives permits from the city of Coral Gables.

Pablo Garcia, project manager for Real Estate and Facilities, said these permits are expected during the next few weeks.

The new townhomes will cost an estimated $5.98 million to build, but the rental process and unit prices will not be determined until closer to the completion of construction, Janet Gavarrete, university planner, said.

Originally the UV was planned to extend into the old nursing school’s location and house 1,100 residents, but the Village was scaled down to house 800 residents as part of an agreement with the UM Neighbors Homeowners Association.

Sarah Artecona, assistant to the vice president of business and finance, said the new townhomes will serve as a buffer between the residents of the University Village apartments and the neighboring Coral Gables community.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...