Faculty housing to neighbor student dwellings

University Village residents may have unexpected neighbors this time next year.

The University Village Townhome project, originally planned to open in early 2007, is part of the University of Miami Master Campus Area Development plan.

The development is expected to include as many as 16 new units to house professors, faculty, adult staff and their families. The single-family townhouses will be located between Mataro and Corniche Avenues. They will replace the old School of Nursing building, demolition of which began late September and completed earlier this month.

The new housing, planned to open October 2008, will be designed to complement the existing University Village apartments. Construction is expected to begin as soon as the university receives permits from the city of Coral Gables.

Pablo Garcia, project manager for Real Estate and Facilities, said these permits are expected during the next few weeks.

The new townhomes will cost an estimated $5.98 million to build, but the rental process and unit prices will not be determined until closer to the completion of construction, Janet Gavarrete, university planner, said.

Originally the UV was planned to extend into the old nursing school’s location and house 1,100 residents, but the Village was scaled down to house 800 residents as part of an agreement with the UM Neighbors Homeowners Association.

Sarah Artecona, assistant to the vice president of business and finance, said the new townhomes will serve as a buffer between the residents of the University Village apartments and the neighboring Coral Gables community.

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...