Cooper, Freeman, Epps and McCarthy Carry ‘Canes to Promised Land

POSTED SUNDAY AT 11:43 AM.

Down by five with 2:44 to play, the Hurricanes finally broke out of their rut in a big way. Freshman running back Graig Cooper and quarterback Kirby Freeman engineered a game winning drive to near perfection, as they took the ball 80 yards for the score.

The drive was marked by three Cooper runs of eight, 10 and 13 yards and three Freeman passes for 16, 21 and 13 yards. The 13 yard touchdown pass, from Freeman to tight end Dedrick Epps, was the only touchdown pass thrown by a Miami quarterback in the game.

If this was not enough, on the ensuing FSU possession, with the score Miami up 30-29, linebacker Colin McCarthy recovered a Xavier Lee fumble and took it 28 yards to the house, icing the game in favor of the Hurricanes.

This year’s matchup between the Miami Hurricanes and the Florida State Seminoles was marked by more scoring than the past two years combined, as the Hurricanes edged the Seminoles 37-29.

This rivalry game for the Hurricanes was heightened by a number of interesting side stories.

Unlike the past several seasons, this year’s game was an offensive instead of a defensive game. The Hurricanes’ defense cannot be overlooked though, as they kept the Seminoles out of the end zone for most of the game, holding them to five field goals and only two touchdowns.

The kickers were also on top of their games this week. The game did come down to the final minutes, as fans are accustomed to, but unlike past years, the kickers were not the ones responsible for a last minute decision. Miami’s Daren Daly was one-for-one on field goals, while FSU’s Gary Cismesia was five-for-five on his field goals. Miami kicker Francesco Zampogna also threw a 26 yard touchdown on a fake field goal.

The Hurricanes overcame some in-game adversity, on their way to victory, as they saw a number of players, including quarterbacks Kyle Wright and Kirby Freeman, as well as offensive lineman Jason Fox leave the game with injury.

At the end of the day, it was the Hurricanes’ Cooper, Freeman, Epps, and McCarthy who stole the spotlight with their late game heroics, leading the Hurricanes to a 37-29 victory over the Seminoles. The win snaps a two-game losing skid against the Seminoles and the two-game losing streak the Hurricanes were currently on.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

Some of the last uninhabited islands on the planet are serving as a natural laboratory for a Univers ...

The Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center’s 18,000-square-foot fitness room named in honor of Norm ...

University of Miami theatre arts students and faculty members come together for a whirlwind day to c ...

The #SuperCoralPlay campaign combines education and outreach with research and restoration efforts t ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Emily Becker is part of a dream team of scientists that will present it ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a spectacular performance in singles play Monday to con ...

The Canes will open the 2020 season with multiple top-5 preseason rankings for the first time since ...

Senior Raheem Chambers boasted an NCAA-leading 60m time in the final on Saturday at the Vanderbilt I ...

In recognition of Martin Luther King Day, Miami Athletics' Student Athlete Advisory Committee ( ...

Miami tops Georgia Southern, 5-0, Sunday night. ...