As sirens blasted, many students did not receive texts

POSTED OCT. 18 AT 12:59 P.M.

Sirens sounded at 12:15 p.m. today as scheduled, but many students did not receive the emergency text message.

Students seemed largely unaffected by the sirens, and seemed more curious about the six camera crews stationed at the Rock, including WFOR channel 4, WSVN channel 7 and WPLG channel 10 news. Crews searched for students who had received the emergency text, but could not find any by 12:20 p.m.

The emergency text message read: “TEST.TEST.TEST. This is a test of the University of Miami Emergency Notification Network. Take NO action. Tell others. If this were a real emergency, specific information would be sent. Visit www.miami.edu/prepare for information.”

Alan Fish, vice president of Business Services, said during a press conference yesterday that 98 percent of students have registered their cell phone numbers on myUM.

Some students such as sophomore J.C. Mendiola, who had not received a text as of 12:25 p.m., think the university has done a lot to raise awareness of the Virginia Tech massacre, but still think there are problems with preparedness.

“The siren didn’t sound different enough from the lightening blast,” Mendiola said.

Other students were not aware that the test was even happening. Three students walking in late to a media law class in the School of Communication were greeted by Professor Sigman Splichal who jokingly asked, “Were you all afraid of being abducted by terrorists?”

After he explained that he was referring to the university’s emergency test, the students looked surprised and said, “Really?”

Pat Cunnane contributed to this article.

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

Romello Height already had a top five publicly revealed when the Miami Hurricanes finally stepped in ...

Mark Pope knows his freshman year with the Miami Hurricanes didn’t play out the way it was supposed ...

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...