As sirens blasted, many students did not receive texts

POSTED OCT. 18 AT 12:59 P.M.

Sirens sounded at 12:15 p.m. today as scheduled, but many students did not receive the emergency text message.

Students seemed largely unaffected by the sirens, and seemed more curious about the six camera crews stationed at the Rock, including WFOR channel 4, WSVN channel 7 and WPLG channel 10 news. Crews searched for students who had received the emergency text, but could not find any by 12:20 p.m.

The emergency text message read: “TEST.TEST.TEST. This is a test of the University of Miami Emergency Notification Network. Take NO action. Tell others. If this were a real emergency, specific information would be sent. Visit www.miami.edu/prepare for information.”

Alan Fish, vice president of Business Services, said during a press conference yesterday that 98 percent of students have registered their cell phone numbers on myUM.

Some students such as sophomore J.C. Mendiola, who had not received a text as of 12:25 p.m., think the university has done a lot to raise awareness of the Virginia Tech massacre, but still think there are problems with preparedness.

“The siren didn’t sound different enough from the lightening blast,” Mendiola said.

Other students were not aware that the test was even happening. Three students walking in late to a media law class in the School of Communication were greeted by Professor Sigman Splichal who jokingly asked, “Were you all afraid of being abducted by terrorists?”

After he explained that he was referring to the university’s emergency test, the students looked surprised and said, “Really?”

Pat Cunnane contributed to this article.

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...