As sirens blasted, many students did not receive texts

POSTED OCT. 18 AT 12:59 P.M.

Sirens sounded at 12:15 p.m. today as scheduled, but many students did not receive the emergency text message.

Students seemed largely unaffected by the sirens, and seemed more curious about the six camera crews stationed at the Rock, including WFOR channel 4, WSVN channel 7 and WPLG channel 10 news. Crews searched for students who had received the emergency text, but could not find any by 12:20 p.m.

The emergency text message read: “TEST.TEST.TEST. This is a test of the University of Miami Emergency Notification Network. Take NO action. Tell others. If this were a real emergency, specific information would be sent. Visit www.miami.edu/prepare for information.”

Alan Fish, vice president of Business Services, said during a press conference yesterday that 98 percent of students have registered their cell phone numbers on myUM.

Some students such as sophomore J.C. Mendiola, who had not received a text as of 12:25 p.m., think the university has done a lot to raise awareness of the Virginia Tech massacre, but still think there are problems with preparedness.

“The siren didn’t sound different enough from the lightening blast,” Mendiola said.

Other students were not aware that the test was even happening. Three students walking in late to a media law class in the School of Communication were greeted by Professor Sigman Splichal who jokingly asked, “Were you all afraid of being abducted by terrorists?”

After he explained that he was referring to the university’s emergency test, the students looked surprised and said, “Really?”

Pat Cunnane contributed to this article.

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...