An overdose of electricity

As reported by the Detroit News, more than 75 percent of the U.S. population ages 12 and older listens to the radio daily, and 94 percent tune in on a weekly basis. Advertising Age reported a Nielsen survey from 2006 that noted that the average person spent 30.5 hours per month using their home computer as opposed to 25.5 hours per month in 2004. Meanwhile, Apple managed to sell its 100 millionth iPod.in April. Does anyone see a trend here? This is the future, ladies and gentlemen, brought to you by the flickering screen and the constant sound of canned music. Enjoy.

The greatest difference, without exception, between our age group and the ones that came before is our constant attachment to personal technology. Certainly the formative years of the baby boomers were marked by the ascension of the television, and over the years new technologies came along to provide ever-more sophisticated diversions to a culture with the leisure time to enjoy them. From that standpoint, then, the current attachment to MP3 players, Internet applications and the TV is a logical outgrowth of the decades-long trend toward an increasingly tech-savvy lifestyle.

Yet in the past, technology was just part of life; it did not consume it. One could sit down to watch the television and, since doing so required a conscious effort by the viewer, it was something fundamentally separate from the other activities of one’s day. The older diversions were used and then put away.

While this is true today if one regards each piece of technology individually, when regarded as a whole it becomes clear that there are no respites today. A computer, for instance, is not something one logs onto for a set period of time and then turns off. Everyone uses one every day for social functions, work and simple amusement. Thus, while the computer is admittedly not constantly being used, it is constantly primed and ready for use. One may not always be listening to music, but it is always only one click away, be it from a radio, an MP3 player, or the omnipresent computer. Personal technology is everywhere and ready to be used in a way it was not in the past. Now there is no reason to spend time engaging in any activities that do not require the aid of technology. It is omnipresent and is the easier route both to the completion of work and the fulfillment of leisure.

We are losing the ability to focus and to accept difficulty because, in a world where everything can be performed and/or experienced through an electronic medium, there is no need to focus and there is no need to accept more difficulty than is necessary. Why go to the trouble of learning penmanship when word processing exists? Why spend time searching for music when it can be found without effort on the Internet? If we as a society truly want our discipline back, we will take steps to rid ourselves of this addiction to technology and we will learn to accept the slow in return for re-evaluating the careful. We will learn to turn the computer off.

Andrew Hamner is a freshman majoring in journalism and may be contacted at a.hamner@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...