University to test emergency notification at 12:15 p.m.

POSTED OCT. 18 AT 1:12 A.M.

The university will test a system intended to alert campus of an emergency situation today at 12:15 p.m.

Six UM representatives participated a press conference Wednesday morning at the School of Communication to discuss the Emergency Notification Network (ENN),

Alan Fish, vice president of Business Services, opened the press conference with a brief statement regarding the nature of the university’s emergency plan. Voice messages to cell and home phones, text messages, emails, outdoor emergency sirens and loudspeaker announcements are all a part of the emergency plan.

“Redundancy is very important,” said Fish, who added that the comprehensive disaster plan has “evolved and improved over time.”

Thursday’s messages, which will begin with “TEST, TEST, TEST” will only examine the communication portion of UM’s emergency response plan. Other parts have been tested in different ways and at previous times, including “Operation Sandbox,” a series of mock disasters aimed at forcing top university officials to think quickly.

The 30-minute press conference, which was open only to student press, was dominated by students’ questions ranging from student costs to the forethought given to so widely publicizing a test of this nature.

Students will be charged for the text messages they receive during the tests; as a result, the university said it will only send texts in emergency situations after tomorrow’s test.

Stewart Seruya, associate vice president of the Department of Telecommunications, expects that at least 60,000 phone calls will be made.

Ninety-eight percent of the undergraduate student body has signed up on MyUM to be contacted in case of an emergency.

The primary goal of the test is to gauge the time it takes to contact the entire UM population and to make sure everyone who is signed up is contacted.

“Tomorrow, we’ll learn a lot,” said Jacqueline Menendez, vice president of University Communications.

There will be no increased police presence during the campus-wide test. The notion of whether or not some individual may take advantage of the situation was dismissed based on the fact that other universities have performed similar tests without incident.

Students who signed up but do not receive a message on Thursday are encouraged to alert the university through the emergency preparedness Web site www.miami.edu/prepare. The site is a place for students to post comments and voice concerns about the emergency test.

While Fish praised the emergency notification network, he urged students to tell others in an emergency situation, saying, “The grape vine works faster than the Internet.”

Pat Cunnane may be contacted at p.cunnane@umiami.edu.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...