University to test emergency notification at 12:15 p.m.

POSTED OCT. 18 AT 1:12 A.M.

The university will test a system intended to alert campus of an emergency situation today at 12:15 p.m.

Six UM representatives participated a press conference Wednesday morning at the School of Communication to discuss the Emergency Notification Network (ENN),

Alan Fish, vice president of Business Services, opened the press conference with a brief statement regarding the nature of the university’s emergency plan. Voice messages to cell and home phones, text messages, emails, outdoor emergency sirens and loudspeaker announcements are all a part of the emergency plan.

“Redundancy is very important,” said Fish, who added that the comprehensive disaster plan has “evolved and improved over time.”

Thursday’s messages, which will begin with “TEST, TEST, TEST” will only examine the communication portion of UM’s emergency response plan. Other parts have been tested in different ways and at previous times, including “Operation Sandbox,” a series of mock disasters aimed at forcing top university officials to think quickly.

The 30-minute press conference, which was open only to student press, was dominated by students’ questions ranging from student costs to the forethought given to so widely publicizing a test of this nature.

Students will be charged for the text messages they receive during the tests; as a result, the university said it will only send texts in emergency situations after tomorrow’s test.

Stewart Seruya, associate vice president of the Department of Telecommunications, expects that at least 60,000 phone calls will be made.

Ninety-eight percent of the undergraduate student body has signed up on MyUM to be contacted in case of an emergency.

The primary goal of the test is to gauge the time it takes to contact the entire UM population and to make sure everyone who is signed up is contacted.

“Tomorrow, we’ll learn a lot,” said Jacqueline Menendez, vice president of University Communications.

There will be no increased police presence during the campus-wide test. The notion of whether or not some individual may take advantage of the situation was dismissed based on the fact that other universities have performed similar tests without incident.

Students who signed up but do not receive a message on Thursday are encouraged to alert the university through the emergency preparedness Web site www.miami.edu/prepare. The site is a place for students to post comments and voice concerns about the emergency test.

While Fish praised the emergency notification network, he urged students to tell others in an emergency situation, saying, “The grape vine works faster than the Internet.”

Pat Cunnane may be contacted at p.cunnane@umiami.edu.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...