Team wins two critical conference games at home

The women’s soccer team extended their home winning streak by beating Maryland and the then-undefeated No. 4 Boston College, both by the score of 1-0.

Miami now moves to 8-3-3 on the season and becomes a serious contender in the ACC at 4-1-1. Senior goalkeeper Lauren McAdam set a school record for career shutouts with 14 between the two wins.

“Lauren is always consistent for us,” Head Coach Tricia Taliaferro said. “She has been a big part of our success.”

While Miami’s offense struggled, their defense was impenetrable against a relentless BC offense.

“We’re only going to get better from here,” freshman Brittney MacDonald said. “We just have to get back to practice and prepare for the next game.”

The only goal scored in the game came in the 88th minute when the Eagles’ Kia McNeil scored an own goal on a cross from ‘Canes freshman Brittney Steinbruch.

“It’s easy for the forwards to get all the attention because they’re scoring goals,” Taliaferro said. “Our back line has been the key to our success. They have gotten better every single game.”

The ‘Canes came out aggressively against the Eagles, controlling the ball and finding their teammates in passing lanes. In the first five minutes, Steinbruch had two shots go wide, but that would be the most action Eagles’ junior goalkeeper Sarah Buonomo would see in the half.

One of the biggest keys to Miami’s win was their ability to run with BC late into the second half.

“We were playing with them the whole game,” Taliaferro said. “But around the 25th minute we felt they were fatigued.”

In the 78th minute, McAdam came up with another great save on a free kick from B.C. Freshman midfielder Hannah Cerrone soon took over the game after MacDonald was assessed a yellow card. Only minutes later, BC sophomore Kelly Henderson rocketed a shot off the UM goalpost to keep the game tied 0-0.

“We’re psyched when we can go out beat teams like UNC or Boston College,” MacDonald said. “Our players attack teams and we feel we can run with them.”

A few days later, Miami defeated Maryland when Brittney Steinbruch scored the lone goal of the game in the 89th minute. The ‘Canes offense took over the game, out shooting the Terrapins 26-9. Miami overwhelmed the Maryland defense time and again, but could not find the net.

“I would be more worried if we weren’t creating any opportunities,” Taliaferro said. “We made sure not to let our emotions get the better of us and keep our composure.”

In the 47th minute, sophomore defender and Maryland native, Jessica Wyble headed away a probable goal after McAdam was injured on the play.

Miami will now head across town to Florida International University to take on the Golden Panthers on Wednesday at 7p.m.

“FIU is an important game,” Taliaferro said. “It is a must win if it comes down to NCAA selection.”

Rory Lincoln may be contacted at r.lincoln@umiami.edu.